Chapter 4

Rae's POV

Isaac and I head down the stairs to the kitchen in an eerie silence. After he told me about his story, we didn't say much. When Elliot had come in, we were laying on my bed looking up at the ceiling.

We walk in the kitchen to find everyone else there. Except for the adults. I sit down in between Sterling and Shane. Isaac sits across from me, next to Noah. They had made pizza. My favorite. We sit silently eating our pizza.

"So," Noah begins. "Why are you in foster care? What happened to your parents?"

Isaac punches his arms. I'm grateful for that, but I don't acknowledge it.

"Noah! You barely know her! You can't just ask for her life story!"

"Why not?"

Sterling pipes up at just the right moment; if he didn't there probably would have been a fight.

"It's not polite to ask someone personal information unless they want to tell." He's sweet. I like that about him.

"No. No it's okay." I intake a breath sharply. Why am I doing this? "My family died in a car crash 4 months ago. I was the only one to survive."
Wow. I got through the basics without crying.

"Oh. Sorry." I can tell Noah didn't mean to come off as rude and now he feels bad about it.

"Why couldn't you stay with relatives?" Spencer, I think that's his name, questions.

"My parents were only-children and my grandparents have all passed." They nod.

"How long are you staying with us?" Shane asks me. It seems like he doesn't want me here.

"I don't know." I shrug my shoulders.

"Are- I mean were you an only child?" Elliot asks me the question I have been dreading to answer.

"No." I choke back a sob." I lost my older sister Sydney and my younger brother Jamie." They stay silent. "I also lost my brother Tyler." I can feel the tears in my eyes.

"How old was your brother?" Elliot is really persistent.

"He is-he was my twin." I see Elliot and Shane freeze. No one else can imagine what it's like to lose your twin but them. It's like losing part of your self. Part of your soul is ripped out of your chest.

The tears trickle down my face. Shane pulls me into a hug for reassurance. Someone scoots off of their chair and joins him. I think it is Elliot. I turn my head slightly and can see that instead of the other body being Elliot's, it was Isaac's. All of the boys gather around me and try to make me feel better.

***********

My first dinner in my new home was a complete train-wreck. I cried. I made Shane and Elliot cry. And I showed the Grace boys how much of a softie I am. Pathetic.

After my meltdown in the kitchen, the boys let me go upstairs and take a shower to clear my head. As I left the room I heard Sterling telling them to not go upstairs until I was done and to not talk about what happened during dinner.

I walk upstairs and find the bathroom with towels already there. I close and lock the door. I turn on the water and switch it to hot. I take off my clothes, leave them in a heap on the ground, and jump in the steaming shower.

I must be in here forever because my fingers are all pruny and shriveled. I stop the water and grab the towel. I step out I the shower and dry myself off. I pick up my clothes and walk out the door. I come in contact with a hard surface and drop my clothes; my towel slipping down. I rush to pull it back up before anyone notices. I look up, horrified to see Shane standing there, his eyes wide and mouth gaping. I run to my room and slam the door. Isaac isn't in hear, which is good. I let a few tears trickle down. I get my pjs on and pull out my phone. I text Lanie to tell her about my situation.

ME: my new foster family is the Grace brothers

LANIE: that sucks

LANIE: at least they are all pretty cute

ME: gross

ME: I just came out if the bathroom and bumped into one of them

ME: my towel fell and he saw me NAKED!!!!

LANIE: omg I'm soooo sorry Rae

LANIE: i gotta go my dad is yelling at me

ME: bye see ya at school tomorrow

LANIE: yeah love ya

ME: love ya too

I put my phone aside and do my best to fall asleep. I try not to think about the events that just went down not even 10 minutes ago.