“You mean…he didn’t do anything to me?”

“No, he respects you being a lady. He respects you enough to wake someone up in the middle of the night.” She smiled to herself. “He has really changed a lot since you came here.”

“What do you mean?” I asked as clouds of confusion filled my head.

She simply smiled and said, “I’m sorry. I guess I’ve said a lot. I’m leaving.” She stood up, bowed a little and left.

He has really changed a lot since you came here. These words from Maddie kept on resounding in my head. What does she mean? That it is because of me he has changed? Impossible, it’s way too impossible.

I spent the next hours practically doing nothing. Maddie or the other maid comes in every now and then to bring me food or my medicines.

My phone rang and I immediately picked it up. “Hello?” My voice came out weakly, of course, I am sick.

“Honey? Are you okay? You sound ill.” The voice on the other line asked.

My heart was filled with extreme joy when I recognized that it was Mom. “Mom! I missed you!”

“I miss you too honey. Why is your voice like that? Are you sick?”

“It’s just fever Mom. But don’t worry I’ll be fine by tomorrow.”

Being an only child, you should expect my Mom to be over protective. And after hearing my response, she went hysterical. “Oh my gosh Elizabeth! What happened to you? Are you eating properly there? Where’s Vince? Is he not taking care of you?”

“Mom, relax. It’s just fever, just fever. And Vince…” I trailed off as I remember Maddie’s story of Vince taking me here in my room and asking her to change my clothes.

“What about Vince, honey? He’s not taking care of you, isn’t he?”

“No Mom! He’s actually taking good care of me, promise.”

“Are you sure?” she asked for the last time.

“Yeah.”

“That’s good to hear.” There was a brief pause and I heard Mom took a deep breath. “Guess what honey, I’ll be flying to New York tonight! And do you know what that means? I’ll get to visit you there!”

A sudden rush of excitement run through my veins. “Really?!”

Mom laughed slightly. “You heard it right honey. There’ll be a two-night fashion expo which will start tomorrow night and I am invited. After that, I promise I’ll visit you.”

“I’ll be looking forward to that Mom.”

“I have to go honey. I need to finish some stuff for tomorrow’s event. I’ll see you soon then. I love you honey. Bye.”

“I love you too Mom. Bye.”

With that she hung up. I felt much energized knowing that I’ll be seeing my mother soon. Oh my, I really can’t wait to see her.

I checked the clock; it’s almost six in the evening. I wonder if he’s here already. I tried to get up the bed and check his room if he’s there. It’s not that I wanted to see him or I miss him or something; it’s just that I felt that I owe him a ‘thank you’.

That thought really cannot go out of my head: that he respects me and he cares for me. Well, that’s what Maddie said. And I really have to thank him. But a voice inside my head speaks to me: No Liz. You want to see him and you’re just making an excuse of thanking him just to see him. I shook my head to erase that thought inside my head and convinced my self that I don’t want to see him; I just want to thank him.