10~Painted Blind

James

We boarded the old, worn down train. I glared at the boy who shoved past me, claiming the seat I was heading for. I shrugged his boyish smirk away, instead choosing to search for Ariel. I found her curled up next to Asher, half asleep. A part of me wanted to wake her up, just to hear her voice. I shook my head, Ariel was my friend, she deserved the sleep.

Asher frowned as he noticed my amber eyes boring into her. "James, why don't you go get the rest of us drinks. You look like you need some time."

I clenched my jaw, pushing past him. "Man-period much?" Alexa murmured into Asher's ear.  He cracked a grin, at my expense of course. Before I could leave the train compartment Merideth stopped me. She gripped my hand tightly, slipping a golden envelope into it. I crumpled it up, stuffing it into my jean pocket. 

As I aimlessly mulled around the train, it dawned on me. I hadn't gotten the regular "post-camp" call from my mother. My hand enclosed onto my phone. I turned it on, waiting impatiently as I dialed my mother. 

One ring, two rings, three, nothing. I banged m

y fist onto the nearest chair in annoyance. Why wasn't she answering? An elderly woman scowled at me, "Get back to your mother!" she screeched.

"Be careful, your dentures might fall out." I snarled back. I slid he door shut behind me, grabbing onto a chair for support as the train turned. I plopped down next to a boy reading a newspaper. The enveloped sitting in my pocket was practically begging to be opened. Ripping the seal off, I skimmed through the note.

TRUST HIM  

P.S I'm sorry, I couldn't interfere.

Love, Apollo

I tossed the note out the window, along with the shiny envelope. The boy next to me snapped his newspaper shut, a smirk forming on his chiseled features. "You look angry." he commented.

"Go drown." I growled.

"Afraid I can't do that, James." he said. His smirk enhanced his deadly green eyes. 

I swallowed thickly, "How the hell do you know my name."

"I know a lot of things. I know who your mother is. I know your bitterness. And I know your deepest desires. I know who you love."

"You're creepy as fu-" I was cut off by an animalistic scream a few trains away. My bow appeared in y hand with lightning speed. I nocked an arrow, aiming it at the boy. "Who the hell are you and what's your name!"

He laughed, running a hand through his brown hair. "You are an idiot. You are so blind! You don't even have the balls to fight back! They are killing us off!" he yelled fiercely. "The gods are watching as we die for them! As their children die! Maybe you will stand for it, but I won't. They destroyed our lives the minute we were born. Our lives belong to them."

I kept the arrow trained on him, "What the hell do you mean!"

He laughed, "Kronos is rising, Slade. No one will survive if he gets to them." I stared at him, stunned. Sleek black wings began to appear on his back, slicing through his shirt. This was no cherub. This was an angel born from the night.

"What are you?" I whispered.

"Not so different from you. Don't forget to choose your allies wisely. And let's not forget about to apagorevméno kóri. You don't love with the eyes, you love with the mind. It is only naturally so that winged cupid is painted blind. And the name's Atol."

I watched in rigid fascination as he spread his raven colored wings and smashed through the glass windows. It felt as if I had no control over my body as I let the arrow go. Flying, flying, straight into Atol's left wing. Sailing straight through the wing, coming out to graze his cheek. I watched as he crashed into the woods, left to survive without a wing. 

My lips could not form a scream as I was smashed into the side of the train car, by a draconian monster. I felt myself sink into the inviting darkness. Away from the world, away from the gods.

A/N I have no excuse for not updating. It was really short but I just wanted to get it out there. Atol will play a large part in the future chapters, but won't turn up again for awhile. Please help reach the goal of 6 votes, 12 reads, and 3 comments. Love you guys. P.S the chapter is dedicated to Leehee246 for pushing me to write another chapter.

VOTE

COMMENTSHARE

SUPERBOWL

UNEDITED