Chapter 7: Mormo The Leech

Pic is Asher's trident, O̱keanós (Ocean)

We played the place game. Alexa had started with 'Vancouver' meaning the next person had to say a place starting with r because Vancouver ended with r, and so on. Merideth ultimately won [obviously], James in second.

I absent-mindedly clutched my jeans' pockets, thinking of its contents. James wasn't as hostile as before, but we weren't best friends. I cleared my throat, staring out the window. The scenery rolled by swiftly. We passed under a large bridge.

"Okay, Argus is taking us as far as Brooklyn; past there we're on our own."

Argus looked like he wanted to say something. He furiously scribbled on a piece of paper. Merideth screamed as the van swerved, "Eyes on the road Argus! Eyes on the road!"

Alexa sighed. "What was so important that you had to nearly kill us Argus?" Alexa read the paper out loud. "The gods will be with you."

She crumpled up the paper, "Right, of course." She smiled uncertainly.

I sighed, "As Asher was saying, we're five kids trying to recover a stupid sword. First I need to withdraw some money. Then, we get the first train ticket to wherever the hell we're going."

James looked puzzeled, "Let's fly, its faster, and we have a time limit."

Merideth nodded, "6 days from now, then Ares claims war."

"Who told you that?"

"A dream," she answered Asher, shivering.

James sighed at the seemed hopelessness, "Again, let's fly."

Asher smiled sarcastically, "If you want to take an unplanned trip to the Underworld!"

James shifted, "Fine, California."

Merideth looked puzzled, "California?"

James nodded, "The prophecy said we would travel to 'the land of Apollo' Calafornia is the sunny state and all."

"Actually, it's the Golden State." Asher remarked.

James huffed, "Whatever, it's the most logical answer. All in favor?" We all raised our hands. They continued the conversation as I dozed off to sleep.

***

I groaned as James shook me awake. Asher glanced at me, "Come on sis, time to go."

I groggily stepped out of the van. Argus waved and sped off. Alexa shivered, "It's freezing!"

The moon hung palely in the sky, surrounded by stars. Asher took of his hoodie, handing it to the daughter of Apollo. She smiled gratefully. Merideth was staring intently at a piece of paper, "This is where we are." She said, pointing to a clearly labeled street, Flatbush Ave. "I say we walk around, get somewhere to stay for the night and figure the rest out in the morning."

Asher glanced at me, "Is there a bank around here? Ariel and I have... some cash. It could prove useful."

Merideth studied the map, "It's about a 10 minutes' walk from here."

We followed her. I rubbed my tired eyes, leaning on the nearest thing for support. It was James. He laughed, "Could've sworn you hated my guts a day ago."

"Could've sworn you were an asshole a day ago." I muttered sleepily.

James smiled slightly, "You lot aren't that bad."