"Hmm." He studied Halen as if observing the fine lines of a wasp's wing under a microscope. "You must be pretty freaked out."

"You could say that." She hugged herself.

"Hey, you'll be fine. You might puke a bit more." He nodded to a basin on the other side of the cot. "Once the venom's out, you'll be clear to swim."

Her cheeks flushed. That horrible stench was her? "Clear to swim?"

"Well, you can't stay here."

"Where is here?" She peered around his shoulder. "What is this place?"

"I don't have time to explain. I really need to go." He stepped from the cavern and reached for the rock. "I'll come back for you later."

"No, wait." She darted to his side, her sparks tingling along her arms. "You're not leaving me here."

"It's the safest place." He scanned to his left and then his right. "For both of us."

"Are you hiding?"

He pressed his lips together, his gaze darting into the shadows.

She had drawn this furtive look before. "You are hiding!"

"Maybe I am, but it's none of your business."

"You brought me here." She widened her stance. "If you don't take me with you, I'll scream."

"You wouldn't." He reached again for the rock.

"Try me."

He dropped his hand by his side. "You can come with but stick close." His gaze held warning.

She nodded, relieved he didn't lock her behind the barrier again. But she stopped short after only a few steps. An endless rock tunnel lay ahead; dim light shone from the glowing golden dust ceiling, illuminating several more cells carved within the walls—a person trapped within each. "What the hell is this?" Her breath quickened. "Where are we? Who are these people?"

"It's okay." He tugged her forward. "They're not well. Best not to look at them."

"I don't like this."

"Then stay." He shrugged and started walking.

She glanced back at her rock cell. She wouldn't find her way home just sitting in there. Despite her insides twisting with fear, she followed the boy from her sketchbook.

The ground was compact and cool against her bare feet, the same as the beach on a rainy day. She noticed the boy wasn't wearing shoes either. And she found this strange. But then again, he wasn't wearing much at all. He hadn't changed from the netted shirt and swim shorts since she saw him last. And this confirmed her previous thought—he had to be hiding. But why then bring her along? 

A low drawn-out moan drew her attention to one cell. A bloated man rolled on his mattress. His veins were dark like Halen's, only his feet oozed with green puss. In the next cell, a bone thin woman picked her eyelashes, wishing on each one and sticking them to her tongue. In the last cell, a frail child stared out at the corridor; her black eyes dripped with onyx tears. When they passed, her mouth parted with a howl, and the child ran toward them. Halen stifled a scream, jumping back. But the girl stopped with the high-pitched squeal of the invisible barrier.

"Keep walking," the boy said.

"What's wrong with them?" she asked, but he didn't answer.

When Halen glanced back, the girl slammed her hands to the barrier and was shocked to the ground. "I want to go home—right now." Halen rushed forward.