NINETEEN; ECHOES OF SILENCE

Start from the beginning

"Those rings only work on humans," Estella said to her brother. "The doppelgänger's a supernatural occurrence. Odds are the ring won't work."

"I'll take those odds over your elixir," Damon snapped at Elijah. He turned to Elena, now looking slightly more concerned. "What if it doesn't work, Elena?"

"Then I guess I'll just be dead." Estella rolled her eyes at Elena's martyr behavior. If Estella had a chance to stay human and alive--she would've taken it. Yet, she shut her mouth. Estella learned early on it was hard to control Elena when she set her mind to something.

Damon stammered and looked to his brother for help on his argument. Stefan shrugged; he, too, trusted Elijah's potion. Damon glared at the people in the room and stalked up to his room. Elena sighed, but didn't stop him.

"Do we know if Klaus has everything he needs to do this? Does he have a werewolf?" Elena inquired.

"Klaus has been waiting to break this curse for over a thousand years. If he doesn't already have a werewolf, my guess is by tonight, he will," Elijah said confidently.

_____

"You'd think he'd understand why I'm willing to do this." Estella frowned, not agreeing with Elena's statement. Her brother was willing to sacrifice anything for someone he loved--that person was Elena Gilbert. Of course we wouldn't understand why the woman he loves would be willing to die, or take a risk of dying.

"Why are you?" Elijah asked Elena.

"I'm the key to breaking the curse. Klaus is here because of me. If I don't stop him, he's going to hurt people. It's that simple," Elena responded as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"You know, there's a possibility this elixir won't work. I don't want to mislead you," Elijah said to the fierce doppelgänger.

"I know the chance I'm taking." The door slammed, interrupting the conversation. Estella stood up, growing tense as she heard Jenna yelling and Alaric's voice. The blonde vampire rushed to the scene, seeing Jenna holding a crossbow in Alaric's direction and Alaric with his hands up and a look of panic on his face.

"Jenna, put the crossbow down, please. OK? It's me," Alaric pleaded.

"Stay away from me," Jenna demanded, aiming the crossbow at Alaric's chest.

"What's going on?" Estella asked, walking over to them slowly.

"It's me, Estella. I swear, OK? He let me go. Klaus let me go," Alaric stated clearly to make his point;

"Prove it," Damon ordered, looking over him.

"OK, uh," Alaric looked to Jenna, "first night you and I spent together, Jeremy walked in right when I was about to--"

"--OK it's him," Jenna interrupted and lowered the crossbow, her cheeks flushing. Estella raised an eyebrow but said nothing.

"Why'd he let you go?" Stefan asked Alaric.

"He wanted me to deliver a message: The sacrifice happens tonight." Estella exchanged knowing glances with her brothers.

_____

"So you don't remember anything that happened?" Stefan asked Alaric, pacing around the parlor. Everyone had taken a seat after Alaric told the message.

"No. It was like, I blacked out and woke up three days later." Alaric and Jenna looked at each other. "Katherine was there."

"She's under compulsion," Estella informed as she sat back. "Damon snuck her some vervain, but she can't leave until Klaus tells her she can."