Chapter Five

Rubbing his eyes, Harry woke up to a blurry bedroom, wondering what time it was. Outside of his window, newly fallen snow was in untouched layers in his backyard. He would have to take Lux out later. She loved the snow....

Harry grabbed his reading glasses off of the table and checked his phone.

2 missed calls and one voicemail.

Urgently, hoping it was who he thought it was, he dialed his voicemail.

You have 2 new voice messages

First message from Friday, September 15th at 7:59pm:

"Aye mate. Just calling to check up on ya. Your mom told me that you have been sleeping most of the day. You know, sleeping fights cancer! Anyways, call me back when you get this. Bye."

Harry smiled at the thought of Louis thinking of him.....and actually caring. None of the other boys called him to check up on him....so obviously they didn't give a damn.

Quickly, he shook off that thought.

Next message from Saturday, September 16th, at 8:30 am:

"Oh, hi Harry! I was wondering if you would call....I'm on my way into work and its probably going to busy, so I'll call you when I'm done with my shift I guess...bye!"

End of messages.

Harry stared at his phone in shock. She actually made an attempt to talk to him.

He closed out his voicemail and checked the time. It was almost 10 in the morning, which meant he slept a good 12 hours.

Feeling almost refreshed, Harry climbed out of his warm bed and stumbled down the stairs. A huge aroma of waffles and bacon filled Harry's noise, his stomach automatically responding.

"Something smells lovely."

"Good morning, sunshine!" his mom laughed, coming over to give Harry a hug.

"Whatcha makin?" He asked, like he didn't already know.

"Some waffles and bacon. Want some?"

"That would be great."

Harry sat down at the kitchen table as Anne put a heaping plate of food in front of him. Shoveling in a bite of waffle, he let his mind drift off to Meredith. Again.

Well, at least it took his mind off of the tumors growing inside of him.

“Did you sleep well?”

Harry cringed as he thought of the horrid dream he had.

He was getting his first surgery, and they didn’t put him asleep well enough. He could feel every single thing going on inside him. The cutting open of his lungs, taking out the tumor…..it felt like he was suffocating. When he finally awoke, it was actually because he was holding his breath under the covers in his sleep.

“Oh, fine!” Harry said, trying to sound as cheerful as possible.

“Good.” She said, sitting down with her own plate full of food.

Most of the time they just sat in silence, with an occasional babble of nonsense from Lux. Harry already knew how it was going to be from then on. Awkward. His mother and him would try to avoid conversation about the cancer at all costs, which meant no conversation at all.

Harry would have to find some way to get out of the house.

Finishing his last bite of waffle, Harry stood up and put his plate in the sink. The snow outside was falling heavily now, and it reminded him of when he used to take walks to the park when the weather was like this when he was a kid. It would always calm him down when he was worried or upset.