Chapter Four

Harry’s mom pulled into the driveway of the house 4 hours later, with a very reckless Harry in the passenger seat. He hated long car rides. It made him feel claustrophobic and uncomfortable; being in a tiny compacted car for such a long time. It didn’t help that he kept thinking about how horrible his life was and how he just wanted to die the whole time either.

He stepped out of the car, the cold September air crashing into his bare face and going down his back. It was that time of year where it was getting to be pretty cold. The first snow was going to be soon. He was sure of it.

Wrapping his jacket tighter around his slim figure, he followed his mom into the house, not even bothering to grab his luggage from the trunk. Anne swung open the door with her hip, with baby Lux in her hand, letting the smell of home fill Harry’s lungs.

The boys always said that his house smelled like pumpkin spice and elderly people. He never quite understood why. His mother hated pumpkins, and the only old person that ever stepped foot into his house was his grandmother, who only visited on holidays.

Absentmindedly, he picked up one of the jackets off of the coat tree by the door and sniffed it, trying to get the smell that they always described. He smelled nothing but slight cigarette smoke, which made him shiver and throw the jacket back onto the tree.

She better not had been smoking again. Especially around Lux.

He kicked off his wet shoes and walked into the kitchen, his feet touching the cold hardwood floors.

“Harry, I just hung up with the moving guys. They got stuck in traffic. They are going to pull into a storage place nearby and put your belongings there for the night. I said that would be fine since we don’t need any furniture here. Maybe you can just rent out a storage room.”

“Fine by me.” He shrugged lazily.

Lux, who was sitting on the kitchen counter, reached out for him and he swung her into his arms.

Harry tried to put on the best fake smile possible, which actually turned into more of a smirk, and looked down at the little bundle of joy in his arms.

“Your sister missed you.” His mom smiled happily at the two siblings.

Lux’s deep grey eyes seemed to burn a hole into his heart, seeming to have so much hatred in them. Harry knew she was only one in a half, but it was possible for babies to hate someone? They loved everyone right?

Harry felt a pang of guilt hit him.

“Well, I missed her too.” He said with a shaky voice.

She smiled, and poked Harry in the dimple.

“Why don’t you go up to your room and get changed into something warmer? I laid out some sweatpants and sweatshirts for you. You can’t be wearing leather jackets all the time!”

Harry could tell that his mom was really trying to make an effort to make things better for him. It made him feel even guiltier. He felt like everything was his fault, even though he couldn’t do a single thing about it. That’s just the way he was. Always putting other’s thoughts and feelings before his.

“Sure, sounds great.”

Setting back down Lux, he trudged up the stairs and down the upstairs hallway to “his room”, which was actually the guest room. It was pretty decent for a smallish house. A queen sized bed, desk, chair, dresser, and bedside table occupied the space.

Harry spotted the sweats and almost sighed in relief. He slipped them on, feeling almost instant comfort. He could tell they were just washed. Soft, and warm.