Chapter 23 Our First Date

I forgot to mention last chapter, but there are maybe 3 chapters (at max) left. OMG it'll be my 3rd completed work! If you hate this story, don't read it. Calling me "the worst author" on wattpad doesn't really affect me anymore. It's actually funny.

Please check out my book "Catch Him If You Can" if time permits. It's a light hearted read. Nothing serious. And a sweet female lead for once xD
Love ya <3

Chapter 23: Our First Date

"Do you like Taylor Swift?"

I pretended to read my book. For the past fifteen minutes, Nolan had been bothering me outside my window. He took advantage of the fact that my parents weren't home, yet. I didn't open the house door when he knocked, so he decided to come at my window, which was slightly ajar for ventilation, and he managed to stick his head underneath it, not allowing me to shut the frame.

Unless I wanted to chop off his head.

"Hel-en, your angry face is seriously hideous."

"No one asked you to look at my face," I shot back, offended. He was doing a poor job of patching up.

"But I want to." He grinned.

"Go away."

"I will, if you promise to go out with me tonight." I didn't look up from my book. Did he just ask me out? Not for a break up? A real ask-out? Maybe I was just overthinking. "Helen?"

"No," I said.

His seventh break-up revenge still hadn't left my mind. Furthermore, what happened in the auditorium was an entirely different matter. I wasn't giving in so easily. I turned to the window where Nolan had disappeared.

The doorbell rang.

Did he really think I was going to open the door?

It wasn't until I heard the lock turning outside and a creaking sound confirming the door opened that I ran to the living room. Mom stepped inside with Nolan following behind, holding bags of groceries. He winked at me. Son of a pig got his entry through my mother. I helped with the bags.

"Why didn't you let Nolan come in?" Mom asked.

"You said no strangers in the house," I replied innocently. Nolan feigned a depressed face, head tilted down. Mom's expression told me I sounded too rude.

"I just wanted to take Helen out," Nolan told mom.

"And I said no."

"Why?" They asked simultaneously.

"Because it's cold outside," I reasoned. "If I get sick, I can't go to school. If I don't go to school, my grades will slip. If my grades slip, Princeton will reject me. If Princeton rejects me, then I'm screwed for life. I don't want to end up working at McDonald's when I can be a NASA scientist and--"

"You can take her out," Mom butted in, approving Nolan's request.

His face lit up.

Whose side was Mom on?

What kind of a parent was she? "Mom!" I snapped. "Nolan may not care about his future, but I do! And so should you! I'm not ruining my future for a guy!"

As soon as the words flew out of my mouth, I regretted them.

A disappointed smile crossed Nolan's features.

"Sorry," he said and moved to leave.

"Nolan--" I started to call out, but he rushed out of my house. I rubbed my face, turning back to Mom who held my gaze. I knew she wasn't content with my behavior and attitude. "Yeah yeah I know. I'll fix it. He's overly dramatic sometimes."