Chapter 9 Your Ex Is Pregnant

Chapter Unedited.

Chapter 9: Your Ex Is Pregnant

I was forced to clean up the puking mess on my feet which I didn't. Instead, I threw a whole lot of napkins on the carpet. Nolan had to keep driving in order to avoid police trouble. It took a while to calm down Nolan though.

"By the way, where are we staying?" I asked as I sprayed air freshener on top of the napkins.

"My parents have a house in Manhattan. Cheap and convenient option," he replied. I didn't know why he worried about cheap options. He was rich.

I was happy when we finally reached our destination. Nolan's house--mansion, more of--was surrounded by a fence of trees. There was a small entrance and Nolan drove through the brick road to the actual house. The amount of empty land surrounding the house was dried out from the cold weather. I even saw a swimming pool to the side, though it was covered by a tarp. The mansion itself was a two story building with an open deck on one side.

I was impressed. Maybe once I graduated from Princeton and got a job with NASA, I can afford a house like this.

Nolan brought me inside the luxurious house and brought me to a room. There was a single bed with an attached bathroom.

"Your room for now," he said and walked out. "Relax."

I threw my things on the bed and did as he told.

¤》¤《¤

"She's not dating a rich guy." I was disappointed to find this.

His ex, Hanna, was actually dating an average boy. My thoughts about making a plan of her appearing a gold digger to her current boyfriend wouldn't work. Nolan sat with his laptop, conducting his research. One thing I noticed was: she hadn't updated any pictures within the last four or five months on social media.

"We'll figure out a plan," Nolan replied unfazed. I didn't like the sound of "we."

He ordered pizza for dinner. We ate and searched. I was sick and tired of being here already.

"I want to go home," I finally said frustrated. Leaning back on the couch, I set aside my phone.

"Go ahead," he said. I glared at him. Nolan was lying on the couch opposite mine. "I'm not stopping you neither am I forcing you to stay here."

"Yes, but blackmailing is the same as forcing."

"Then don't get in a situation which you know you can be blackmailed about."

"You're such a jerk," I said irritated. "I could have never imagined you as this--this maniac lover, obsessed with past girlfriends. Distant from family, friends, and . . . well everything."

He closed down his laptop screen and held my gaze. "You know what your problem is?" I knew he was going to start an argument with me.

"No, Nolan. I don't."

His face turned into a frown and without blinking, he said, "Just because I don't say much doesn't automatically mean that you're always right. You think I'm the bad guy. Have you seen yourself?" He ran a hand through his hair and took a deep breath. Sharply, he added, "Always so damn judgemental! Always acting like you're better than me--better than everybody. Distant from friends? At least, I had friends! You don't even have that!"

"I don't care either," I told him with a shrug. Sometimes I did, but not anymore.

He exhaled loudly. "Brat. A complete snob. You still act like you're superior to everyone. 'I don't care. I don't need anybody,'" he mocked. "Your name is 'Helen' and trait-wise, you own up to that name."