IX.

Southern Californ-i

<>Three Days Later<>

We were at a gas station in I believe the southern most part of L.A. His goal was to be already in San Diego by now but his car had some trouble so he had taken it to a friend of his who could fix it. This delayed the car ride by two days so now he was filling up his tank while I sat here in the car bundled up in a blanket like a giant burrito.

I've never felt so on edge before. Every little thing made me jump, I was so suspicious of people who walked by but I wanted to talk to Dad. I wanted to let him know what was going on and that I was okay for now. CJ says I can't call because my whereabouts needed to remain anonymous. My eyes hurt from so much crying, its gotten to the point where they're so swollen it hurts to blink.

"I'm payin', do you want anythin' from the shop?" He asked as he came around to my side of the car. I shook my head in response. "Vanity, you needa eat somethin'." He said more stern.

"I don't feel hungry."

"You've said that since yesterday morning. Your ass is eating' somethin', I don't care if I have to force your throat muscles to swallow the food, you're eating." He left from the window and I watched him walk inside, the door closing slowly behind him. Then I noticed the payphone... I swear I haven't seen one since I was a little kid but this made me raise my head up.

I grabbed my purse from the floor of the car and dug around for my pocket change. I had a couple coins and I got out of the car, jogging over to the phone, I fumbled for the right amount of change but put it in. I dialed the house phone since Dad would usually be home at this hour, not yet leaving for work. I was impatient and looking all around to make sure CJ wasn't around and I was still good.

First ring...second ring.... "Hello?" Dad's voice said and it was like at that instant my vocal chords became entangled with one another. My attempt at a hi sounded more like a raspy gasp. "Hello? Who's there?"

"H-Hi Dad." I choked out finally as I leaned up against the side of the payphone so my eyes could remain looking in the direction of the shop.

"Vanity? Sweetie where are you and are you okay?" He asked with such joy in his voice that didn't seem to mask the overall worry. "Vanity say something."

"I'm okay for now and I'm currently at a gas station in-" The line went dead. Did Dad hang up? Did my call drop-I felt the phone yanked out of my hands and I was spun around to see CJ staring down at me. The vibes that radiated from him were what made me want to try to run but that would only makes him even more mad.

"Get in the car." He said grabbing my wrist, pulling me with him. I didn't even try to put up a fight, instead I just followed along like a sheep to it's shepherd. I got in the car and waited patiently for him to get in and yell at me.

"What the fuck were you thinking?" He said in a regular tone, like as if we were having a regular conversation and that only added more to the fear I already had built up.

"I wanted to let him know I was okay. I miss him a lot, CJ." I kept my gaze down at my lap.

"You understand why we left Riverside right?" I nodded in response. "I've told you time and time again, you'll be back but for now you have to be off the grid. I promised you I'd keep you safe, didn't I?"

"Mhm-"

"Nah, speak with words. You're grown." He sharply corrected.

"Yes you did."

"Then stop tryin' to contact people. If people know where we are, we're even more fucked than we currently are. Try running off or getting help any other way and I'm gonna break your legs." I took my attention to the window as we got on the highway. I tried to keep my mind busy on other things but it was impossible, especially after hearing Dad's voice but at least he knows I'm okay.