~Chapter Eighteen~

I trotted Dandy inside the starting circle. The woman holding the clipboard gave me a sour look. "You're lucky, a second later and you would have been disqualified," she snapped.

"Well I'm here, and that's all that matters, right?" I giggled nervously.

She just glanced down at her watch. "And three, two, one, go!"

Dandy took off at a gallop and we headed toward the first jump, a low bush. Dandy snapped his knees up and we cleared it. A few jumps later, we headed into the woods. After popping over a log jump then down over a bank and across a creek, Dandy and I headed up a bank toward the end of the woods. We were going the fastest we ever had on a cross-country course as we cut corners and galloped on staightaways.

When we broke out of the woods, we headed toward the last jump, a trakehner. As we approched the jump, a few strides away, a small jack russell ran out in front of Dandy. He reared up and I wrapped my arms around his neck trying to stay on. He landed and bounced back up again.

The jack russell ran across to the other side of the course, I followed him with my eyes and saw him run up to a girl with a silver whistle stuck in her mouth. She sneered at me and I got a good look at her face. Jayde!

I faced Dandy at the final jump and pushed him into a gallop, determined to beat Jayde even with the interference. Dandy cleared the trakehner and we thundered our way toward the finish line.

We crossed the line and I slowed Dandy down to a walk. I stroked his sweaty neck, "You are such a good boy!" I praised him.

Holding my breath, I glanced up at the leader board. No way! My name was below Jayde's. I looked at the times and couldn't believe my eyes. Jayde's time was 1:43.47 and my time was 1:43.48.

I looked down at Dandy's neck, No way! How could I have lost to her by just one tenth of a second?!

I looked up at the sound of commotion. Mr Jones was talking to the course official rapidly and motioning with his hands to the course. I couldn't hear what he was saying but he looked mad. The course official shook his head and said something. Mr Jones walked away shaking his head.

When he glanced up and saw me looking at him he motioned for me to go over to him. I heitantly urged Dandy into a walk and we headed over to Mr Jones. "I'm sorry Rilee, I tried but they told me it didn't affect your ride."

"But it did! If that hadn't happened then I would've won!" I replied.

"I know, I understand. I tried to explain but they wouldn't listen. There's nothing I can do about it."

I nodded, "Thanks for trying. I guess life isn't always fair."

He smiled gently, "That's a good way to look at it. I'm proud of you. You had a good run and even though you were sabotaged you still finished strong and not many people would go through what you did and still place highly."

I nodded. They started calling the top ten riders back in front of the judge's stand. I listened intently and when my name was called I took my place next to Jayde and held my yellow third place ribbon limply at my side.

Jayde smirked at me, "Have any trouble with say... dogs?"

I glared at her, "Shut up, you're lucky you weren't caught."

"Puh-lease. As if, I never get caught."

"Y'know, it's pretty sad that you have to cheat to beat me. I mean I know I'm good but come on..." I tossed my head and grinned at her.

She rolled her eyes,"Whatevs, you know I could beat you any day any place."

It was my turn to roll my eyes. With that we were dismissed and I headed back to our stalls. "Hey!" Liz greeted me, "How did it go?"

"Horrible. I was almost done and Jayde sent her little dog across the trail and scared Dandy. We ended up losing by one hundredth of a second.

"Aww, that sucks," she frowned. "Did she get in any trouble?"

"No, Mr Jones tried to get me a re-ride but the course official didn't agree to it. How about you?"

"I got first!"

"Great job!" I untacked Dandy and put on his shipping boots. I put my tack in my trunk and headed to the locker room to change back into my street clothes. I started back to Dandy. I walked around the corner and Smack! I bumped into someone.

"Oof!" I took a step back. "OMG! I am so sorry!" I looked up and came eye to eye with a tall cute boy.

His grey blue eyes searched my face intently, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, how about you?" I replied taking in his tall frame and medium length brown hair.

"I'm James. James Anderson. Who are you?"

"Oh, I'm Rilee Black. Nice to meet you! What do you ride?"

"What?!"

"You know, english or western?"

"Oh!" He laughed, "I'm not here to show. I'm watching my girlfriend."

"Oh, not to sound nosy but who's your girlfriend? Maybe I know her."

"You might. Does the name Jayde Pierce mean anything to you?"

"Ugh... yeah... we know each other."

"Cool! Well I gotta go. See ya around!"

"Yeah, later!"

I went back to Dandy's stall and got him ready for the trailer. After one of the stablehands took my tack trunk to the trailers, I walked Dandy to Kalie's trailer and loaded him in the third section.

I climbed in the truck shaking my head at the thought of someone like James dating someone like Jayde. I settled in for the long ride home.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

OMG!! I feel so guily! I haven't updated the actual story in exactly one month!!! I'm soooo sorry, please forgive me!?!

I should have a lot more time to write now because basketball is over. We lost our District playoff game to a private school by 12 points. I'm sad but I have so much more time!

I enjoyed writing this chapter and was very surprised at how it turned out.

In the media is James! ;)

This chapter is dedicated to roleplay-official. Thanks for all you have done!! :) ♥♥

What is your favorite sport? (Besides horseback riding :D)

My favorite sport besides horseback riding is basketball!

I've missed you all and I promise I will try to update at least once a week!! ♥♥♥♥

Kisses,
Abbi ♡♡