CHAPTER THE SEVENTH

Evelina couldn't sit or do anything without fidgeting and squirming.

It had been almost half an hour, and she was still sitting down on the sofa. It was supposed to be soft, but because she was so on edge Evelina hardly felt anything except her own anxiousness. Her eyes were firmly glued on Ailill's bedroom door, which was officially The Most Annoying Thing in the Lost Cities now.

Just then, the door swung open widely and none other than Fitz Vacker stepped out of Ailill's bedroom, looking more than slightly worried. Though Evelina was sure he was concerned about his son, there . . . was a certain glow to his face. His mouth was curled down, but his eyes were shining brightly.

Fitz was about to walk past Evelina when Evelina cleared her throat awkwardly. It wasn't every day that she wanted to talk to the jerkface's father, but this was important-she wanted to know how Ailill was doing, and at the same time, maybe dig out some scoop about him and Sophie. All this time, she had been probing Sophie for information-but she had never considered looking at it at other angles-well, Fitz's angle, at least.

Fitz turned around and his teal eyes-so like Brennus's-caught onto Evelina. Evelina thought she saw him gulp, and inwardly, she smirked.

"Hey," said Evelina nonchalantly, standing up from her seat and walking toward Fitz. Fitz didn't do anything, his eyes watching her every move closely, but Evelina could see him flinch ever so slightly. She didn't know what Fitz would do.

But she sure wasn't expecting him to read her mind.

She didn't even know that Fitz was intruding her mind before she heard his mental voice breeze through: I had no idea you hated me so much. But of course, I shouldn't be surprised.

Evelina's eyes flew wide open, and her jaw fell slack in shock and fury as she stared daggers at Brennus's father. "You read my mind! Without my permission! How. Dare You-"

Fitz held out a finger to his lips, signaling that he wanted silence from Evelina. Evelina seethed with barely contained rage, but she obliged and listened to him as he transmitted to her, I know I violated the rules of Telepathy-and trust me, I'm really sorry. But you were glaring at me with such a burning passion, I couldn't help it but yearn to know what's going on in that mind of yours. And . . . it is overwhelming indeed-as expected from the photographic memory-but not as overwhelming as-

He suddenly stopped short, looking like he'd been caught doing something bad. Guilt flashed across his face for a split second before going away very quickly again. But even though Evelina didn't catch that, she did catch the rush of guilt that ran through her body.

And she immediately knew who Fitz was talking about.

It's my mum, isn't it? She challenged Fitz, who started to look a little uncomfortable. Come on, say it loud and clear. Sophie. Foster.

Brennus's father stiffened, and Evelina knew she'd hit a sore spot. She couldn't help but feel a teeny little bit sorry for Fitz, but . . . he was the one that broke Sophie's heart . . . However, Evelina somehow felt that she should stop. She could feel immense guilt rushing through her right now, and it scared her. Guilt was probably by far the most dangerous emotion an elf could feel-as guilt could shatter their minds.

Fitz was feeling guilty. As soon as he had started thinking about Sophie. Why?

But then Evelina knew. By watching Sophie's memories and Fitz's actions, it was clear that they had been so very in love before they fell apart. Their bond must have been one of close to unbreakable. And when Fitz hurt Sophie, and Sophie's heart was broken . . . she'd changed into a different person. Fitz must have felt guilty, and tried to apologise and patch things over with Sophie, as seen in Sophie's memory. But Sophie, being too emotionally injured, rejected him . . . Evelina hadn't thought of Fitz's feelings about the whole ordeal, but he must have been pretty hurt too.