Chapter Six

Wendy crawled out of bed on Saturday morning, rubbing her eyes and dragging her feet as she walked to the bathroom. The clock on the wall read quarter after ten. Knowing her parents were at work, and brothers most likely in the basement playing video games, she turned her phone on Pandora. She blasted the music and set it on the fake marble counter before undressing and hopping in the shower.

She relished the feeling of the warm water cleansing her skin. She scrubbed the dirt out from underneath her nails, proof that she was sneaking around the snowy forest with the Lost Boys and Lilo in the middle of the night.

She couldn't help but think of Peter. He had the mind of a kindergartner sometimes, often pushing her buttons, but he meant well. He had a good heart and she admired that about him. Most of all, he helped her to sneak out of the house every night.

Once in a while her oldest younger brother John would also come along, but they always had to make sure they were home before their father would wake up. He may have ignored them during the daytime hours, but he never failed to check on them every morning at five-thirty.

Wendy stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around herself, she scoured her closet, unsure whether she was in a dress or jeans mood. She eventually just decided on light colored jeans and a flowy blue tank top. She curled her hair and wrapped her usual blue bow around it.

A slam from downstairs and stomping sounded throughout the house. Wendy cautiously exited her room and went downstairs, careful not to make any noise. She heard muttering coming from the kitchen.

Wendy walked to the doorway of the kitchen and peeked her head around the corner. Her dad was pacing back and forth, clutching his head and muttering to himself. His black hair was disheveled and his tie hung loose around his neck. Wendy let out a small gasp at the state of her father.

Mr. Darling stopped pacing and brought his head up. "Wendy," He said, without looking at her. "Come out."

Wendy cautiously stepped into the kitchen. "Yes, father?"

"Do you know why I'm home so early?" He asked through gritted teeth.

"No..." Wendy replied carefully, as if giving the wrong answer would get her grounded.

"THEY FIRED ME!" Mr. Darling yelled in her face. "THE BUMBLING IDIOTS FIRED ME!" He returned to pacing the kitchen.

"Father," Wendy started, "I'm going to a sleepover at my friend's house tonight. Is that okay?"

"Yes, yes. Whatever." Mr. Darling replied, waving her off. "They fired me." Wendy heard him mutter as she left the kitchen.

Doesn't matter what happens, they still ignore me. Wendy thought as she climbed the stairs back to her room. Sulking over the family dynamic in her home, she quickly texted Anna that she would be arriving early. She packed pajamas and an outfit for the next day into an old backpack and left her room. She went to knock on the door of her father's office, but thought better of it. Instead she left a note on the counter for her mother, letting her know where Wendy would be and that she had her phone in case they needed her--however unlikely it may be.

Before leaving she made sure to tell John and Michael goodbye, afterward tackling them to give each boy a kiss on the cheek.

She pulled on her brown winter boots, blue winter coat, and gray knit hat, slinging the backpack across her shoulders then exiting the house. Fortunately for her, the weather wasn't as bad as it was the day before. The freezing wind had died down, and the fresh white blanket was spread out beautifully over their yard. Wendy tucked her bare hands in the fleece-lined pockets of the coat and began the eleven block walk to Anna and Elsa's home.