14: Small Victories

There she was, her mouth agape and a spray bottle and towel in her hand. Tucker felt like he'd caught her in a private moment. But there Ruby was, staring at him and he wasn't sure what to do next.

    He silently turned away from her, organizing the papers and binders he had in his hands. She went about her business as well, putting the spray bottle back and throwing the towel in the hamper. She walked so quietly. Tucker cleared his throat, trying to ease the tension that spread over his body. He could feel his personal space sharing hers and he didn't quite know what to do about it.

    "Hey," he heard. "How are you today?"

    Her voice was different from before. Smaller, more hesitant, like it was afraid of rejection. Tucker felt responsible. He shouldn't have just disappeared for weeks. He should've come around more often.

    "I'm good."

    "Didn't know you'd be interviewing so soon. I was just getting to know Craig, actually." She leaned on her elbows over the outside of the desk. She didn't look at him, instead looking across at the machines. She had painted her nails since the last time he'd seen her.

    "You know Jackie." Ruby leaned away from him, dropping one of her hands. Tucker looked along the length of her neck, from the diamond studs in her ears to the thin gold chain around her neck. His fingers twitched, aching to run a finger down her neck.

    "Mmm. No, not really, but I guess I know what you're saying," Ruby dropped her other hand and pushed herself off the desk. "I'll go get her for you."

    "No need. Stay up here though?" Who was he, asking for one of his employees to do her job?

    She stopped and walked back behind the desk. Ruby crossed her arms, keeping her distance from him. "Okay."

    "Do you mind if I talk to you after this interview?" Tucker asked. This had to be crossing some sort of line, but he couldn't help himself.

    Ruby bit her bottom lip, looking anywhere but in Tucker's eyes. God, he wished she would. She'd see the regret in his eyes, that he'd been so inattentive. She was so smart that way, sensing things. So why couldn't she sense his want for her?

    "Is this about my job or...?"

    He wanted to lie, to make her stay so he could tell her everything on his mind. He set the interview book down.

    "No."

    "Well, I'm sure I'll see you around, won't I?"

    "Yes," Tucker said, feeling the hesitation in his voice. He knew that he would see her later, yes. But he didn't want to wait for later. He wanted her now. She unplugged her phone and walked away from him. On impulse, he reached out, catching her wrist. She turned, looking at him, shock in her eyes. But finally she was looking at him. He pulled her closer.

    "Please?" He loosened his grip, slipping his thumb into her palm, making small circles.

    Her eyes softened. He could see the warmth returning to them. He felt her body release its tension and he saw her blush. Tucker felt his heart beating like he had been working out. The rush of seeing her relaxed and comfortable around him. He wanted that for a long, long time.

    "I have something to do after work..." She looked away.

    Tucker let go of Ruby's wrist completely, but held on to the tip of her index finger, painted black. Their hands hung below the desk, no one seeing the small moment they had together, her hand in his. "Tomorrow, then?"

    Ruby looked back up at him. "Well that all depends."

    "On what?" he would have given her anything.

    "On if you show up before my shift is over. Do you think you can handle that?" She slipped her finger out of his hands and slid the interview book closer to him.

    "Yeah," Tucker said in a mild daze.

    "See you later then," Ruby said, and walked away.

Please don't forget to vote/comment if you liked what you read!! Thank you so much for reading!