Chapter 17

"Yes, mom, we're fine." Vernon was talking on his cell phone while having his breakfast. 

          He and Sophia were at his uncle's house in the dining room. 

          Donald was sitting under the table chewing some meat on a bone.

          "Where are you?" His mother asked through the phone.

          "We're at Uncle Aaron's."

          "Have you found any clues of where Vince could be?"

          "You can say, we're on the right track." Vernon smiled. "Donald's doing a good job, I think."

          "All right, sweetheart, be careful, now."

          "All right mom. Are you on the way to Aunt Julie's?"

          "Yes, we're in the car."

          "All right, mom, have fun. Bye." Vernon pressed a button to hang up.

          "Your parents ok?" Asked Uncle Aaron, who was sitting at the table, drinking a cup of tea.  He too, just like his brother had a strong Jamaican accent.

          "Yep." Vernon replied getting off the chair.  He turned to Sophia. "Are we ready to go?"

          Sophia nodded as she got up, too.

          Vernon took the lead on Donald. "Thanks for having us, Uncle Aaron."

          "It is my pleasure." Uncle Aaron smiled as he saw the young couple to the door.  "Take care, now."

          "We will."  Vernon and Sophia waved goodbye and set off again.

          Sharni was the last person to wake up. She came downstairs wearing her traditional clothes: a red Salwar-Kameez.

          Ade was sitting at the table with his mom, eating his breakfast. He was in his white shirt and black trousers, all ready for work.

          Ade and Sophia's mom, Mrs. Smith had wavy long blonde hair, and blue eyes. Everyone could tell that Sophia's features resembled those of her mother.

          "Morning, dear, did you have a goodnight sleep?" Mrs. Smith smiled at Sharni.

          Sharni nodded and sat down with them.

          "I'm gonna bring Lisa over after work."  Ade said while cutting his poached egg.

          "Why?" Said a concerned Sharni.

          "Well, I thought she could keep you company, when we go out." Ade explained to Sharni. "You wouldn't want to go out with me alone, would you?"

          "I guess not."

          "Where are you planning on going?"  Mrs. Smith asked her son.

          "To Daniella's. I spoke to her last night." Ade said. "I thought we could have a drink and simply have fun."

            "Have fun?" Sharni shrieked. "While Vince is locked up somewhere?!" 

          "Nobody stays miserable for the whole of their lives, Sharni."  Ade tried calming her down.

          "I'll be happy when I see my Vince again." Sharni said as tears started to well up in her eyes again.

          "Oh, sweetheart, he'll be back soon."  Mrs. Smith placed her hand on the sulking girl's shoulder and handed a tissue. "And it's not like he's dead."

          "Yeah, and we've got a search party looking for him."  Ade added.

          "Come on, darling." Said Mrs. Smith. "Try to be happy."

          Sharni dried her tears.  "OK."

          With her head on Vince's shoulder, Xeena kept stroking his hair.

          Stubborn Vince had his face turned the opposite direction. All he could think about was how to get out of here.

          "Come on, Mark, eat your breakfast."  Xeena said.

          "Why should I?"

          "If you don't, your headache won't go away."

          Vince turned to face her. "My headache won't go away, anyway."

          "Come on." Xeena begged, handing him a banana.

          Vince pushed it away. "I need you to take off the chains."

          "Why?"

          "I need to go to the bathroom."

          "Okay."  Xeena somehow had trust in Vince, so she took out a key from her pocket and unlocked the cuffs.

          Vince ran to the en-suite bathroom and locked the door.

          Xeena leant her head against the door, listening to every sound he made.

          It was silent. Then a few seconds later the chain of the flush was pulled. Then the water from the taps started to run.  Then...

          "AAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!"