Chapter 1

The summer of 2004 soon came by and the last term of the academic year was almost finished for the Summer break. Most coursework and exams were finished so a lot of the students finally had the opportunity to chill out and do things that they were contemplating to do.

Seventeen-year-old Vince Mark Carr had never thought that he would ever find the perfect girlfriend. But he did and he was happy - extremely happy to have found a girlfriend like Sharni Hendry.

One week day afternoon, Vince sat on his bed with his legs crossed, staring out at the afternoon sky, through the window in room 74. He smiled with happy thoughts when suddenly he heard a female giggle coming from behind him and a couple of hands covered his eyes.

"Hey!" Vince exclaimed with a laugh, knowing that it was his girlfriend being mischievous. He removed her hands from his eyes and turned to face her, and exchanged big grins at each other.

Sharni was a sweet, smart yet beautiful girl who was grateful to have Vince as her boyfriend. While she stared at her boyfriend, she thought herself to be stupid when she first met him. Why didn't I see how gorgeous he was?

He still was gorgeous. His bright green eyes always glistened every time he smiled at her.

Vince was the sweetest guy in history Sharni had ever met, otherwise they would not be together now! They were practically inseparable!

Sharni and Vince. The perfect couple anyone could ever imagine!

Just then, the door of room 74 opened and another guy entered.

"Yeah, I'll see you later, Hazel!" He said to his girlfriend as he closed the door. Then he sighed happily as he slumped on the edge of his bed.

"Wow!" Sharni said. "Somebody's happy!"

"Did you have a good date, Steve?" Vince added.

"Yeah!" Steven replied with a cheerful look on his face. "It was great!"

"Hmmmm, I wonder what you got up to." Vince quipped.

Sharni gave her boyfriend a little playful nudge on the chest as she knew what he was thinking.

"Ow!" Vince exclaimed rubbing his chest.

"It wasn't like that, ok?" Steven said, trying to defend himself.

"Ok, calm down." Vince said with a giggle. "I was only joking."

It was a good thing that Steven was in high spirits as he laughed with him. "Well, I let you off, Vince."

Steven Wilks and Hazel Grove were still going out together. They were a little nicer than before. They always said "Hi" every day they saw Sharni and Vince.

Steven still shared Room 74 with Sharni and Vince. But he did not always feel at ease staying there. Sometimes when Sharni and Vince laughed and joked among themselves, he felt a little uncomfortable whenever the three of them were in the room together.

While Sharni and Vince continued talking to each other, Steven sat quietly on his bed, fiddling with his hands. As he kept looking around the room, he thought about what to do next. He took in a deep breath and blew it out as he sighed miserably, when nothing came to mind.

Vince could see how miserable he looked from the corner of his eye.

"Hey, Steve, cheer up." He said through his laughs. "Why don't you join us?"

But all Steven could do was give him a small smile of appreciation, but he longed to share a room with Hazel. One room just for him and his ginger girlfriend.

There was never a time when you saw the two couples in one room. Whenever Hazel came in, Steven walked out with her in his arms.

Vernon Matthew Carr and his girlfriend Sophia Smith were still a happy couple. No problems what-so-ever.

Sophia still helped Vernon in the furniture shop, at the counter serving the customers.

It was almost the end of another working day and Sophia just finished with a customer who paid for a product from the shop. She looked up at her boyfriend who was nearby.

"You doing ok there, Honey?" Sophia called to Vernon who just helped a customer choose a new bed.

"Yeah, I managed to serve some happy customers today." Vernon smiled as he walked over to Sophia and gave her a passionate kiss on the lips. "But it would be great if Ade were here. Where is he anyway?"

Sophia laughed. "Have you forgotten, Verney? He's on a date with Lisa."

"Oh yeah, I forgot." Vernon laughed along with her, slapping his forehead.

Sophia's sixteen-year-old brother, Ade Smith was now officially dating Sharni's best friend, Lisa Kentley.

Considering he was one year younger than the rest of the gang, Ade fitted in well.

Lisa and Ade were sitting on a park bench, embraced in each other's arms and staring at the beautiful view of the park, which had beds of colorful flowers. The warm sun beamed very vigorously, making the blond shine more from the couple's hair as the calm breeze blew through them, while they kissed.

Lisa was over the moon to go out with Ade. He was her dream come true.

"You're my cuddly bear!" She said as she squeezed him tight.

"You always say that, Lisa." Ade laughed through his teeth.

Lisa gave a giggle in return. "That's because you really are."

"And you're my little angel." Ade added.

They laughed loudly as they snuggled closer in to each other's arms.

As for Andre Carr, he got married to his childhood, redhead and blue eyes sweetheart, Samantha Carey.

Now, they were packing their bags for their long honeymoon, which meant leaving Sharni with his trusted cousins Vince and Vernon for the summer and the first week when college started again in the fall.

It was no problem at all. After all, Sharni was Vince's only true love.

"Have fun on your honeymoon, Andre." Sharni said as she gave her guardian one last hug before he and Samantha went through the check in at the airport.

"We will." Andre said, stroking the back of Sharni's head.

"You take good care of yourself, while we're gone, ok?" Samantha said.

"I will." Sharni wiped a small tear from her eye as she moved on to hug Samantha.

"Don't worry, Vernon and I will take good care of her, if she doesn't." Vince said sarcastically, yet with a straight face.

Andre laughed.

"Ok." He said as he firmly ruffled his cousin's thick black hair.

"Hey!" Vince shrieked trying to brush his hair back with his fingers.

Sharni giggled under her breath with one hand over her mouth.

The teenage couple waved at Andre and Samantha as they watched them go through the gates to the check in, wishing them a safe journey.