Chapter 16

Sammy POV

I can't believe it.

She died.

My mom...

It was all I could think about when the doctor had called the next morning. I could still remember it.

The phone had rung countless times but no one answered. I got up and rubbed my eyes looking around for signs of Dominique. I glanced around the bedroom. My eyes falling on a sticky note... He had left for work. The phone rang so I shuffled over and answered with a groggy voice...

"Hello?"

"Hello... Is this Sammy?"

"Speaking..."

"This is Doctor McKeller from the hospital your mom was in..."

"What do you mean was? Did you guys dispatch her?" I answered obviously concerned as to who took my mom.

"Not exactly...."

I stared into the emptiness of the living room, the phone still clutched in my hands. Ever since he called I could not take it upon myself to get up. I have been sitting here for minutes.... hours...

And what's worse... I haven't even shed one tear. All I could think of was she was gone, and that's when it hit me. The tears rolled down like a waterfall. 

I cried and screamed. I couldn't understand why she died.

She seemed so healthy. She seemed like she was doing better, last I saw her.

When I last saw her.

Dominique POV

Work was hectic. The minute I walked in, I was swamped with phone calls and voice messages, and my work phone crowded with texts - half of them from my mother.

Claire, my assistant, had fallen sick and was sent to the hospital. Her wrist broke and she had to stay off from work. Meaning a very busy schedule for me. 

My clients were frustrated and very adamant about seeing me. I was stressed out and on the verge of snapping off anyone's neck, who dared to disturb me. 

After a few hours of immersing myself in my work, my phone rang. To say I was pissed was an understatement. I growled lowly, fixing my beastly gaze on the cellular device, hoping that whoever was on the other line would feel it- or see it, somehow- and just leave me the fuck alone. Yet the device just kept ringing and ringing, as if taunting me. 

I sighed and picked up my phone whole pinching my nose bridge in frustration. "Dominique speaking," I responded while leaning back into my desk chair.

"Oh thank God. Dominique...we need to talk."

"What do you want, Leo?"  I asked calmly. One might say a little too calmly- which he sensed.

"I uh... I get the feeling you can't talk now-" I bit my tongue to hold back any sarcastic reply and gritted my teeth together, maybe chipping them a little..."-but  I was hoping we could do a dinner meeting this Saturday?"

I rolled my eyes towards the ceiling and calmly took in a deep breath, a little bewildered and slightly amused at the nerve of this guy, "Is that why you called me at work ?"

"I couldn't reach you at home." He dismissed me. "Now, be that as it may, I want to meet up for 8 at..." and he began listing things like the place, the proper attire, the transportation, etc.

I nodded my head like I actually gave a damn about what he was saying, then I remembered he wasn't in the room with me.

After the call, I dived back into my work full force... Not planning for any more distuba-

*ring ring ring ring*

I deadpanned and groaned really loud as if I was some constipated old man trying to take a shit and grabbed my phone.

"Hello,"  I asked rather harshly and in a monotone.

I heard a small gasp and a slight sniffle. I scrunched up my nose and pulled my phone away in confusion to look at the caller ID.

Maybe it's the wrong... 

OH MY FUCKING MOTHER OF TULIPS....  

I quickly pulled the phone back to my ear and apologized profusely. It wasn't till I heard a mellow 'goodbye' and a soft click, I knew I messed up big time.

UGH .... I'M SUCH A DICK

I hope he forgives me

Shit, Sammy baby I am so sorry.

Sammy POV

I sobbed into my pillows while Cindy whispered sweet nothings to me.

"I-I ca-can't b-believe she-she's gone," I wailed," everyone is leaving me! My mom, Dominique..."

"Wait what?!" She snapped her head up causing her neck to pop.' Fuck!' she hissed.

I sobbed some more. I guess I should explain...

"Hello?"  He asked rather harshly and in a monotone voice.

I let out a little gasp as my eyes welled up with tears. I began to sob hard as my grip on the phone increased. My hand getting red while I shook and shivered.

"Baby! I'm ho-" Cindy yelled out but stopped as she saw me, "OH MY GOSH! SAMMY! ARE YOU ALRIGHT?" she questioned as she rushed over to where I sat on the couch.

I didn't want her to suspect anything or even assume it was Dominique's fault so I told him goodbye and hung up. When Cindy reached me she helped me to my room and began asking me questions.

I reluctantly told her and began crying all over again.

So my point is, I never told her I called him.

"What did he do Sammy?!!" she questioned.

My tears resurfaced and I began sobbing. Right now I don't even care that my mom had gone... and that Dominique may potentially break up with me. I just needed comfort and the only way to find it is through my best friend.

I hugged her, my tears staining her shirt. She calmed down a bit and hugged me back. I sighed, "I love you."

She snuggled up to me more, "I love you more baby." She giggled and I let out a grin. She kissed me on my cheek, "Things will get better."