Chapter 1

Author's Note:

I would like to, first of all, thank you for choosing to read this book. I hope you enjoy it!

I want to announce that I am not an aspiring author, and that this was just an idea that came to me one day which I decided to move forward with.

Also, I want to remind you that this is an lgbtq+ themed story, more specifically gay-themed. This means that there may be discussions on the aforementioned theme. So if you are uncomfortable with it, please leave and/or refrain from using targeted hate speech. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

-p_pillon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sammy's POV ( 9: 00 a.m. )

"Okay, Mandy. I'll come over after work." I ended the call with a heavy sigh. Mandy is my mom's caretaker. She has been around ever since I had moved out for university, to help my mom with chores, keep her company, and... well... to take care of her. It's been a few years since my mom's health has been deteriorating and this time she required a bit more medical attention. She'd fallen ill and had to be rushed to the hospital. It wasn't her first time.

I paced around my bedroom for a few moments, worrying about my mom before deciding that it would be better if I just got ready for work instead of working up myself over a situation I can't prevent. I walked the short gap from the foot of my bed to my walk-in closet to look for something to wear. 

'It just sucks that I can't be there with her because I know my boss won't give me time off.'  I groaned and rubbed my temple, trying to focus my attention on clothes as opposed to my meanie of a boss. Trust me, I've asked him many times before.

I sifted through my somewhat small selection of wears before I finally decided on a pair of black skinny jeans, black vans, my employee t-shirt and badge, and a black pull-over. I pulled my phone charger out of the socket and pocketed my Samsung before making my way down the short hall into my kitchen.

Looking at the wall clock as I entered, I realized I didn't have much time and decided to toast some bagels for breakfast. Placing the bagel slices in the toaster oven, I quickly turned around at the sound of the doorbell and rushed into the short hallway, careful not to break any vases like last time.  

'Must be Cindy,' I thought.

"Coming," I huffed out before pulling the door open. "Cindy!" I greeted with a wide grin, opening my arms for a hug.

"Hey, babe." She reciprocated the hug, greeting me with a kiss on my cheek too.

"Hi!" I replied enthusiastically, parting from the hug and moving aside so she could freely enter the apartment.

She laughed at my response, "How are you? How'd you sleep?" She asked as she walked in, stooping to remove her shoes. 

"Well, I slept okay... " I trailed off before gently closing the front door. "Mandy called this morning." I simply added and turned to look at her. Her mouth formed into a circle and she exhaled an 'oh' before putting her shoes on the shoe rack near the door.

"How is she?" She asked, standing up to her full height. She plooped her bag on the table with the vase and leaned slightly on it, patiently awaiting my response.

Knowing she was referring to my mom, but also not willin to go into the details of the conversation, I shrugged and said, "They're both doing alright."

Cindy looked at me for a second, seeming in debate with herself as to whether she should persist. As if finally deciding against it, she waved her hand flippantly and smiled, "Well that's great."