Usually, when a kill was a bit...closer to home the pack gave him time to put a report together. Between funeral arrangements and mourning time, it often takes a while for the pack to want to know what happened.

When an incident was not a wolf the pack knew—they often wanted the report as soon as possible.

Will sighed and rubbed his forehead. The paper in front of him proved to be difficult. His memory of the event came back mostly in patches—sharp teeth, an uneven fight, claws catching on his underbelly. He remembered the end result well enough, but he just couldn't quite get himself to write the damn thing.

On the desk in front of him, his sleek black smartphone rang.

"Hey Will." Cameron spoke through the speaker. "Alpha just got a call about a possible situation two states over."

Already?

He clicked his pen and set it down. "What kind?"

"A couple of patrols noticed some movement along their territory. The Alpha has more details, but it sounds like they're calling in hunters to help out."

Not every pack had rogue hunters. Some packs simply lived in denial about the frequency of rogues and ferals, while others struggled to find a wolf who wasn't an Alpha strong enough to do the job. Either way, the packs without hunters had to petition to another pack's Alpha if they wanted help.

Will thought of himself as a power tool. He was sharp, honed, and had the potential to be a dangerous weapon, but if another wanted to use him they would still have to get permission from the owner—in this case, the Alpha.

Despite his tiredness, he chuckled. "If the Alpha keeps loaning me out to people, I'm going start feeling used."

"I can go with you." Cam offered.

He wiped a hand over his face. "No, no I'll go. It could be nothing. If I need backup, I'll call you in."

"If you were any other wolf I'd be nervous to send you out alone. But damn man, they don't call you one of the best for nothing. No wonder the packs want you."

If Cam was trying to inflate Will's ego, he wasn't succeeding. "You're full of crap." If he was one of the best, he wouldn't have the beginnings of a scar on his chest. He'd seen the best, trained with the best, and he was nowhere close.

He could tell Cam had shrugged at that, despite not being able to see him. "I tell it like I see it."

"Whatever." He grumbled. "Are you at the pack house?"

"Yeah. Just got out of a meeting with Oliver."

"Tell Alpha Mark I'll be over in an hour." He said. That'd give him enough time to pack an overnight bag and get a few things in order. "Cam?"

"What's up?"

He couldn't just leave Harley without a trainer. Training was an everyday thing. If he let her take days off here and there she wouldn't get as much out of it as he wanted her to. Doing a little bit of work each day not only builds her stamina, but confidence. He'd slowly watched her grow self-assured, little by little each day, despite the moaning and groaning she continued to do.

"I'll need you to work with Harley while I'm gone. I can write up her regimen and have it to you before I go."

"You want me to work with her?" The surprise in Cam's voice made Will frown.