Nine.

Now Playing... Grand Piano

Ever since we were little, Wes had always been my comfort. He was always there when I needed someone to hold me and make me feel safe and warm, and when we stopped being friends, a part of me grew cold, unprotected. The night I had been sick, I had wished I could extend the night just so I could stay closer to him longer, safe in his embrace. His arms wrapped around me had always brought me a peace I had never known before, and even when he was my worst enemy, he was the only one who could calm the storms in my heart. But I knew, as soon as he awoke and left, the security I longed for that only he could give would vanish too, and I would be left there, the coldness filling me once again.

As I glanced at him, I took in the ghost of a smile forming on his lips, and his disheveled hair that hung in front of his eyes. Resisting the urge to push it back, I rested my head in the crook of his neck, wrapping my arms tightly around him. I knew it was wrong. After all, I had a boyfriend. But Wes had always been the only person who knew what I needed when I needed it.

"Morning, Molls." He rasped, and my heart fluttered. A faint smile grew on my lips, and I peered up at him, noticing how his piercing green eyes seemed to sparkle in the sunlight.

"Morning."

He pushed a piece of hair out of my face, and I remained frozen. How could I move? I had longed for this proximity for three years, and when he ignored me and broke his promise, I couldn't just let go. I had buried that pain, buried him, deep inside my mind, and when he came back, it was like every little thing sucker punched me until he became the most prominent thing in my mind again.

Before either of us could do anything else, my phone rang, and I sighed, grabbing it and answering Mason's call. "Hello?"

"Hey, babe. How are you feeling?" He asked, and I smiled softly at the sound of his voice.

"Better. How was your trip?"

As Mason rambled on about everything he had done, I looked at Wes to see him staring at the ceiling, one of his arms resting behind his head, making his muscles tighten. As I stared at him, Mason's words became nothing more than white noise, and when Wes' eyes met mine, I nearly dropped the phone.

"...But I wish I could've been there with you. I feel bad."

Tearing my eyes away from Wes', I pushed the phone against my ear. "It's okay, Mace. My mom was here to take care of me."

"I thought she was on a business trip?"

Well, damn.

"O-oh..." I mumbled through the line, mentally smacking myself. "It's actually next week. I got the dates mixed up."

It was a good save, and Mason would believe it. But why did I feel the need to lie in the first place? Honestly, I had no idea. All I knew was, I didn't want to risk even more bad blood between Mason and Wes, and I most certainly didn't want to be in the middle of it.

"Oh, well... alright. I'll be back home next week. I love you, babe."

"Love you too."

As I hung up the phone, I let out a sigh and set it back on the nightstand. For a couple minutes, it was silent, but then Wes propped himself up on his elbow, staring down at me with a smirk. "Your mom took care of you, huh?"

"Shut up." I glared, throwing my arm over my eyes. "I panicked."

"Why is it so bad if I took care of you?" He asked, pushing my arm away from my eyes. "Why did you lie to him?"

I glared at him. "I didn't want him to have a reason to fight you anymore than he already does after you provoked him the last time. Why does it matter anyway?"