Chapter 40 - Darkness Falls

Start from the beginning

"There is this voice, in my head. I can't quite explain it. Almost like is taking over me" May sniffed, wiping more tears from her eyes.

"Like a spirit consuming you?" Ash wondered to himself, but he said it out loud. 

May nodded in reply. "I am not too sure I believe in paranormal activity, but that could be a possibility" 

"What does it say?" Ash asked. "Because it did start happening during your match against Elizabeth. 

"Something about darkness and how there will be judgement brought to the Kanto region. That it needs my help to succeed" May looked at Ash with eyes he had never seen before. They went beyond fear, they was completely devoid of any life, scared and worried, not ready for what may happen next. 

"I am guessing then, that there is some sort of machine on you now, maybe even inside of you, somehow, that is enabling someone to speak directly into your head and his or her words will be the cause of your worry" Ash hypothesised and May giggled.

"I think that is the smartest thing you have ever come up with" She laughed, wiping more tears from her eyes.

"Glad to see you are laughing" Ash smiled back, before going back to the matter at hand. "Do you remember anything from 15 minutes ago"

"Hmm" May put a hand on her chin and thought about it momentarily. "I remember being in bed and getting up, but everything seems blank after that. Then, you are suddenly here when I wake up"

This is bad. Ash instantly thought, getting up.

"I came in and you was talking to your self, rocking back and forth. Then you suddenly collapsed on me and I put you back into bed.

May's face turned red and she looked away. "How embarrassing, sorry" She apologized. 

"There is no need to apologize. Maybe taking your mind off of this will be better for you" Ash suggested.

"What shall we do then?" May wondered, making Ash raise an eyebrow.

"Go and watch Dawn's match of course" Ash said like, duh.

"But I am hungry!" May smiled and then Ash did too.

"Ok, we can go and get something to eat first" He agreed, Pikachu slowly waking up from Ash's shoulder at the mention of food.

The three of them headed to a diner not too far from the lodge and ordered a burger each, Pikachu eating some Pokemon food made by Brock and Cilan. 

"You feeling better?" Ash asked as he looked over at May.

"Much, thanks for asking" May replied with another smile. "This takes me back to our time in the Hoenn region" She said, nostalgia hitting home. 

"You was dragging me off to go eat an awful lot" Ash laughed, finishing up his burger. 

"Not just that, the fun and laughter we shared throughout the journey" May looked over at Ash, who looked back.

"All my journeys have been great fun, that's why you guys are all awesome!" Ash replied, turning to Pikachu. "Right buddy?"

"Pika!" Pikachu spoke for the first time today, but instantly turned back to his food.

"Well, I am finished now so we can go to the tournament" May got up and Ash followed, turning to Pikachu again. 

"Time to go, buddy, you can eat the rest later"

Pikachu jumped onto Ash's shoulder hesitantly, while he bagged the food. They all headed to the arena, so they could support Dawn.

"So, who else is in today's matches?" May asked as they walked down the path leading to the stadiums that could be seen in the distance. 

"Erm..." Ash thought for a moment and then nodded to himself in confirmation of his thoughts. "Clemont and Iris are"

"Oh, so that means Brock and Misty still have their battles to go now. We all got chosen pretty quickly" May commented and Ash nodded in agreement.

"Even all of Team Shadow have had their matches. Seems like it will be a few extra days of rest for us all at this rate" Ash sighed, thinking of the relaxing time he could have for three or four days.

"Say, Ash?" May stopped walking, about twenty feet away from the main arena.

"What is it?" Ash stopped next to May and turned, looking down at her.

"Thanks alot" She looked up and smiled, before rising onto her tip toes and surprising Ash as she kissed his cheek. "Really, thank you" She smiled again. 

"Er...Your welcome" Ash put his hand on his cheek and looked at May as she calmly skipped down the path and into the main arena. 

What the hell... Ash thought properly for once, no dense thoughts were possible after Serena and Miette. Don't tell me there is three girls now! He groaned in his head, before following May inside. 

Questions were best saved for later.

They both didn't see the person on the far right, watching them as they walked in.

Misty watched Ash with her arms folded, before following them into the main arena.

---------

Everyone likes a little bit of drama, am I right?

Bet no one was expecting this kind of chapter to appear xD 

Onwards, to the next chapter! Hope you enjoyed.