Chapter 37: Secrets

Start from the beginning

I took that blade as a sign of continuing on with my plans. I went into the bathroom, and well, I kind of decided to slit my wrists. I thought it was the most effective way. What other way would be the best? I was ready. I held the blade in my hand and I inserted it into my skin. I felt a warm liquid running down my wrists, but it wasn't just that. It was years of pretending to be strong, all the anger that was bottle up inside, all the frustration of not being able to do things for myself, everything.

I dug the blade in deeper and I felt the warm liquid coming down in a steady, thicker stream. I was feeling a little light headed, but it was nothing. I was ready to start on the second, but someone came in. They never said anything, they never spoke a word. All I remember is them taking the blade and taking me to the nurse. They applied toilet paper on my wrist and I'm sure that they cleaned up the blood that was on the floor.

That person had saved me. Later on, after the nurse had done her job, she told me that a Raymond Hayes was the one who had brought me there. He had been the one that had come inside the bathroom. The one who had saved me.

I didn't understand why he had done it, but that was when I understood that he wasn't really a bad guy. He was must trying to fit in. He could have just left me there, act as if nothing were happening, but he chose to help me. It showed me that people actually cared. It was the best feeling ever and it came at precisely the moment in which I needed it the most.

That day when I talked to my mom, she saw the bandage. She asked me what happened and I lied to her. I told her the only thing I could come up with. I told her that I was walking and that I had tripped over some old branches and had landed on a pointy branch. She believed me, but I could tell she was skeptical. I wished with all my might that she wouldn't come to check.

She was about to, but the phone rang, so that distracted her for a bit, And after that she completely forgot about it, mostly because I avoided her for the rest of the day.

I was lucky that day and ever since then, I thank Ray. I don't think he knows that I found out, but I don't think it would make a difference. The fact is that he helped me when I needed it most. And for that I'll always be thankful."

Lauren had tears in her eyes when he finished telling the story. She didn't know that it had been that bad. Just thinking about the possibility of Ray not having found him when he did, made shivers run down her spine. He didn't really seem like the type who would just give up like that.

The urge of hugging him overwhelmed her. She had to hug him. Instead of asking him, she just threw her arms around his neck. She couldn't say anything. She didn't know what to say. A lack of words had suddenly hit her and there was nothing she could say.

Landon was surprised at first. This was not the reaction he was expecting, but he was thankful that it was Lauren here with him. His arms slowly wrapped themselves around her waist and he let his head just hang down. His head ended up resting on her shoulder.

There was something about Lauren that made him love her company. Whenever Lauren was around, he felt complete and with a lot more strength than all the other days. It was because of her that he was okay now. He knew she wouldn't judge him and that made him feel better about telling her.

Nobody else knew about what happened that day besides Ray. And it had surprised him that Ray hadn't run to tell someone or make fun of him foe that. But then again, who would make a joke about that?

He became lost in her smell. That smell of paint reached his nostrils and he was more than happy to stay like that forever, He loved her smell. It was different. It showed how much passion she had for painting and it was just amazing to have the knowledge about it.