Chapter 7 : Problems

Start from the beginning

As planned, her adversary didn't saw the riposte come and the gun was brought away from her vital organs. That didn't meant he was helpless. He pulled the trigger as soon as he understood what had happen... way too soon. The young woman mentally thanked herself for the precaution she took by deviating to her right. If not, Laxus would probably have been shoot. However, a sharp pain startled her, making her almost drop her grip on the arm, still wrestling for the gun's control. She was weakening. She was about to let go. Then a big hit on her opponent made him drop his gun. She fell on her side, knowing she had succeeded.

***

Mira, that idiot reckless stubborn girl, just did the stupidest but most courageous thing he ever saw. Everything went so fast that he only understood what just happened when he saw a pool of blood growing under Mira. Her right leg was hit by a bullet. And even then, there she was, keeping on the fight against the man who had sworn to kill him. Without wasting any additional second, he hit their opponent with every ounce of force he still had, making him fall to a safe distance from Mira, the weapon now in the girl's trembling hands. He added a couple of hits to be sure the man wouldn't fight back and grabbed the collar of his shirt with two hands, pinning him on the wall.

- Who are you working for?

He laughed. A nasty and confronting one.

- And why should I tell you?

Laxus hit him again. Shit! With Mira injured, he didn't have time for that crap. However, it may be his only chance to locate his father.

- I don't give a crap about your sloppy business. I only want to know if you're working for Ivan Dreyar.

- And to whom do I owe the honor? He replied, now curious to the name's mention.

Obviously, he was surprised Laxus knew Ivan. He was aware of something, there weren't any doubts.

- Laxus Dreyar, his son. And you can trust my word when I say it would be good for your heath to answer me!

- All I can tell you is to come back in that same hangar, precisely two weeks from now. I'll give him your message. If the boss wants to see you, trust me, he will.

- And if I want to see him now?

- In that case, you'll have to torture me in vain while your little girlfriend loses every drop of blood she has left.

Laxus let out a curse. He didn't really have another choice except trusting him. He had to help the one who save his life barely a couple of minutes ago. Without warning, he gave a violent punch on the temple of his interlocutor, making him lost conscience for good and went to Mirajane.

- You're an idiot. He dropped wearily, kneeling next to her.

- I have to admit it wasn't my best idea, she agreed with a grimace of pain. But I'd do it again, she added.

It troubled Laxus a little but he didn't let it show. He ripped a sleeve from his shirt and made a bandage out of it. Once he was done, he placed a hand behind her back and under her knees, careful to not hurt her, and lifted Mira in his arm.

- Thanks, he whispered as Mira's head rested on his shoulder.

- My pleasure, she mumbled half asleep.

- Oi! Don't fall asleep now! He said, shaking her lightly. You lost too much blood, do not sleep before we get to the hospital.

- O...kay.

Laxus sighed and accelerated his pace. Once in the car, he took the hospital's direction, grumbling once in a while she must wake up. "It's gonna be a long night" he thought.

***

Mira looked at her decent sterile bandage. Stiches held the wound closed. Even if the one Laxus had made her was rough, it likely saved her from a hemorrhage. With her crouches' help, which she must use for about two weeks, and armed with pain killers and antibiotics, she went to meet Laxus in the waiting room.

- Finally done? The impatient man asked seeing her.

- Yes. We can leave.

- About time! I'm drained.

Mira had to admit they were in bad shape. He may not have injuries as severe as Mira's bullet wound but a black eye was starting to take form around Laxus's left eye and many bruises covered both their bodies. That aside, the sun was already rising in the horizon and they were exhausted.

- I rented a room in the motel across the road. The car's already parked there.

Mira nodded before initiating clumsy steps with her crouches. After a couple of annoyingly slow footsteps, Laxus raised his eyes to the sky, took her crouches from her hands and lifted her like a couple of hours ago.

- It would've take all night, he justified himself to Mira's interrogating look.

- The night is already over, she pointed out.

- Tsss. You're such a pain when you want to.

The comment made Mira smile but she didn't add anything. When they entered the room, he put her on one of the two beds and dropped unceremoniously on the second. By the time Mira was able to find a more or less comfortable way to sleep because of her leg, she could already ear light snores. The young woman tried to do the same, ignoring the presentment that problems were just starting.