Ch. 21: The News

You watched him, unable to hold a little smile because of his happiness. "Yeah? What is it Gaster?" He laughed a bit, and you could tell he was holding in a fangirl-squealy moment. "I must make sure first. Think back, when you fainted. You remember your soul's color, yes?" You thought for a second, nodding after. The pearly-white heart you'd seen must be what he meant. He took his hands off your shoulders, rubbing them together. "What color was it?" You knew he was up to something now. "...white. Is that a problem?" Gaster laughed out loud, and you watched him fist-pump the air. You never expected that from such a 'proper' skelly like him, and it earned him a laugh from your part. He cleared his throat, beaming brighter now, rubbing his hands again. "Excuse my actions. I must check something." You saw him enveloped in purple wisps for a second, and he was gone. After a few minutes of waiting, he was back. And looking extremely triumphant. You felt he was holding in the need of fist-pumping again. He breathed a couple of deep breaths before sighing, smiling, and speaking again. "I must explain something to you. It will take a while, so i will let you wake up for now. We must not worry the boys." He folded his hands, smiling at you. It seemed he was calmer now, as the lights had disappeared once more. "The next time you sleep, expect to see me." He waved, and you felt yourself being pulled once more. You waved quickly back at him before you awoke back on the beach. And just in time, too. Sans began stirring next to you. You could see Papyrus on his towel, observing the antics of other monsters on their first day to the beach. He waved at realizing you were finally awake. You saw Sans's head poke up after he waved. "Whu' happened?" His voice was slurred, and you chuckled at the sound. "Mornin', sleepybones." He faced you and smiled lazily, chuckling softly. "Heh, hiya. Sleep well?" You nod, stretching a bit. "Yep. You? Take a nice nap?" You saw his lazy wink settle in. Oh no... "Shore did." You giggled. "Oh, now i've gotta take the bait. Can't resist a pun like that." You laughed a bit with him. Papyrus's head had shifted to the two of you, working up to a glare. Sans chuckled, gaze not moving from yours. It seemed the pun wars were on. "Wow, quite the snapper comeback.~" You racked your brain for more puns, giggling all the while. "Heh, well, can't say it wasn't on porpoise." He snorted a bit before firing the next. "I dunno, you sounded a bit tongue-tide to me~" Your turn to snort. And apparently, Paps's turn to shriek. "YOU TWO ARE RIDICULOUS!! STOP THAT!" You two both turned to him, and Sans replied first. "Wow bro, feelin' crabby today, huh?" You giggle, finding the perfect comeback. "Nah, he likes 'em. It's just a load of carp." Sans chuckled again. "Maybe we should scale back our efforts?" And then came the twist. Paps had apparently had enough. "ARE YOU TWO REELY GOING TO CONTINUE?!"

That shore left you stunned. You and Sans couldn't stop trying to bribe Paps for another for the whole ride home. But, he wouldn't budge, so you arrived without a pun. Once you entered and began to put the things away, Papyrus (of course) went straight to check on the hamster. Sans tagged along with you to put the towels away. The two of you started chatting away *and maybe snuggling a bit* before hearing a high-pitched scream from the living room. Sans reached it first, eye ablaze and bone at hand. You followed quickly after, wielding a...a hammer. You found Paps squirming on the couch, hands covering his sockets. The hamster's cage was opened. Sans actually snorted at the sight, his eye going out and the bone disintegrating. You laughed at that as well, letting your battle stance down. You could hear squeaking from Papyrus's current position. Wait... Sans laughed harder at the realization. "Paps...did you actually..." Oh my gog. You held back multiple snorts. "Pap...get your hands off your face..." A whimper escaped him and his hands lowered. There, sticking out of his right socket, was a very squirmy hamster. Three...two...one. You both erupted into laughter volcanoes, almost falling over. Papyrus crossed his arms, twitching and grimacing whenever the hamster moved too much. "HELP ME PLEASE..." This was too much. You staggered over to him, holding in your laughter as you began to observe the scene. The hamster was stuck at his middle, at the very center of his socket. Like he'd attempted to hop through from the inside and gotten stuck midway. Sans stumbled to you, still snorting. "Oh my god..." You chuckle and get to work at once. You hold the hammer between your legs and attempt to wriggle your fingers between the bone and fur to edge him out. You could feel his ribcage under the fur; he was stuck too tight for that. You were shaking with held laughter for the whole while. Sans was laughing beside you as you attempted the operation. Pap, on the other hand, could not stop twitching. His skull, of all bones. You retracted, letting out a stream of laughs. "Pap, ya gotta hold still, hah..." Sans chuckled again and held onto Papyrus's skull. "I'll hold 'im, you get the hamster out." You could hear the laughter held back as he spoke. You chuckled, once again nearing to attempt to take him out again. After another few failed tries, an idea popped into your head. If he won't go forward... then he's gotta go back. You had to stick your hand into Pap's skull and pull out the pet. Oh my god. You told this to Sans, and he began another laughing spree. "Hah, g'luck with that." You clear your throat of chuckles as Paps watches you, utterly horrified. "YOU...YOU NEED TO WHAT?!" His cheekbones dusted a light orange. "I've gotta put my hand uo through your jaw and pull the little wriggler out. I hope it won't hurt." You crack your knuckles. "Now, open wide."

All in all, it worked. The little hamster popped out easily with your second method, although Papyrus jolted like he'd been electrocuted when it happened. You had put the hammer down on the ground by now, and laughed with Sans when the hamster finally came out. You turned and left Sans rolling on the floor and Paps twitching on the sofa to put the hamster away. You chuckled again, dusting your hands off. You watched him run around his cage, squeaking happily, like he was glad to be out. You were about to speak when you heard Sans begin to grunt. They became quick, hyperventilated breaths. Papyrus had finally calmed down and was now looking a very confused mixture of trying not to laugh and worrying. You turned to Sans; the first things you noticed were his limp form and the hammer sticking out of his left socket. Oh no...