Ch. 26: Enough

You were no doubt alarmed. You attempted to weave your way through the maze, turning and following the slight smell of smoke. It was very light, not something to be worried about, but you followed the singed scent nonetheless; it would bring you to Sans, if he hadn't moved. The smell grew a bit stronger as you sped up. A last turn brought you to a very unnerving sight; Sans, standing in a battle-type stance, with a huge goat-like skull materializing behind him. His iris was ablaze, and the goat skulls' sockets soon matched. What was across from him startled you even more; at your angle, you were in front of him, a little ways away. But beside you was the fading image of Gaster, hands up in defense. They both noticed you quite quickly. Sans's sockets went completely dark at the sight of you, and the goat skull disintegrated. He stretched out an arm, extremely afraid now. "(Y/N) GET AWAY FROM HIM!!" Gaster was first startled by your appearance, until he quickly pushed forward and grabbed ahold of your shoulder. You felt your heart race, and a cold shiver swept through your body. You felt you were going to faint again, until a rush of heat flooded trough you, stronger than the cold. One word that ran through your mind; "Enough." Gaster's remaining shadow looked shocked for a moment, before an electric blue bone shot through him, and he was gone. Sans was able to run towards you and take you in his arms before your knees buckled; you'd been left weak, with the strength sapped from your body. You felt the wisps press against your forehead, and you smiled weakly. A small, relieved smile spread over his own skull at yours. The lights in his sockets began to glow once more. You chuckled softly. "Scared ya...didn't I?" He smiled a bit wider, picking you up bridal-style. "Yeah, you did...now let's find our way out of this mess..." You smiled, kissing the bottom of his cheekbone before resting your head against his shoulder. Your head landed comfortably at the side of his neck, and his rested on yours. It wasn't long before you started to doze off.

Your eyes blinked open, and you found your strength had returned. You also weren't moving, yet still in your lover's arms. You chuckled when you realized he had fallen asleep, on a bench near the entrance to the maze. He looked...peaceful. You loved that look on him. You planted a soft kiss on his jawbone, snuggling into his chest. You felt him stir, and a hand slowly guided itself through your hair. You giggled as he chuckled, leaning down to quickly kiss you. "Have a nice nap?" He nodded, smiling a bit before yawning. "Y-yep. Seems like you did too." He chuckled a bit more before going slightly serious. "Hey, uh...could we not bring up what happened in the maze?" You nodded, nuzzling him a bit. "Yeah, I think that'd be best. You suddenly noticed you weren't alone anymore; small groups of people were now navigating the park grounds in various costumes. Papyrus was...somewhere. You'd probably have to go find him now. As you shifted up to stand, you felt two arms wrap around your waist. "Noooo, don't leeaave..." You giggled, attempting to walk away. The arms only tightened, and it wasn't long before you noticed you were literally pulling Sans off the bench. You snorted when you looked behind you. "Pffff Sans, we've gotta look for Pap!" You laughed as he slowly straightened up. His arms finally released you. "Fiiine. But I schedule a snuggle session for later." You giggled, nodding. "Of course. How could I deny that?" He chuckled, taking your hand to begin searching. You giggled with him, leaning your head on his shoulder once you began walking.

You had a mishap on the way to find Pap. Sans stopped short before a game kiosk that held plush prizes. A current player was dressed as...well, a skeleton. You saw Sans's gaze drift towards him, and his cheekbones blaze bright blue before he quickly turned away. You held in a chuckle. "What's wrong, Sansy?" He neared your ear, like he was going to tell you a secret. "Tem just let some naked guy stroll right in?!" The held laughter escaped in a stream. "Oh my god Sans-" You laughed hard, almost having to lean against him to stay standing. He glanced at you, confused. "What's with the laughing?" You laughed a last time. "Oh my his, he's not naked, pff...that's a popular costume up here. His look changed to an utterly disgusted one. "You people are some sickos..." You continued laughing until you reached another activity booth; one of those dart-throw balloon-pop games. Which was where you finally found Papyrus. He had apparently spotted a little skeleton plush and fallen in love with it. Long story short, you played a couple of times and got him the plush. You continued on and did a few more carnival things before leaving, near dusk. You were pretty pooped by the time you got hone, and Papyrus had actually fallen asleep in the car. Sans managed to stay awake, but just barely. Once you entered the apartment, you greeted the still unnamed hamster before flopping on the couch. Your heard Papyrus open the cage to play with the little pet. Soon after, Sans chuckled, climbing onto the couch as you had. "Imma do the same thing, kiddo." You watched him make himself comfortable, and soon the both of you had knocked out, hand in hand.

You faded back into the pitch black landscape. Oh god...it seemed you had to meet up with Gaster after the episode in the maze. And your suspicions came true; he slowly faded in before you. His back was turned to you, and he had a dejected-like pose. You felt your heart sink a little; had what you asked for...not worked? Gaster sighed, and began to speak. "I've finally come with good news." He turned to face you, though his head was still bent low. His sockets were closed, and he wore a soft smile. "You're much stronger...and...." His sockets opened, and the white pinpricks focused on you. He chuckled softly. "She's alive."