The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 10

Start from the beginning

            “What did you find?” Anaela softly spoke.

            Searon looked up to her who stood before him now curiously looking down.  The wind blew through her tangled hair and her eyes seemed to settle with the look of hope.

            “Somebody was dragged here.” Searon uttered.

            Anaela now got down onto her knees and looked close to what Searon was looking at. Without realizing it his attention was no longer on the indented dirt but lost on her face. She was looking thoroughly at the ground herself now moving the dirt with her hands looking for more clues. Her hand gently grazed his and he looked to her eyes. Innocently she looked up and their eyes locked as the warmth of their hands spread. She blushed and turned away but her hand didn’t leave his.

            The rustling of leaves startled them as she removed his hand from his. She got to her feet and searched the area holding her bow. Searon rose to his feet as well and felt a cold chill run down his spine. It was odd because there was no wind in the area but something gave him chills.

            They stood close together now and Searon felt the handle of his claymore in his hand as he looked around. The leaves stirred in the bushes ahead of them and a woman with charcoal skin walked into the open with an evil smile upon her lips.

            Searon became lost in her dark beauty staring from her snow white hair to her lavender lips. Her dark armor sparkled back at him revealing her soft dark skin that let his mind wander. Her beauty was dark and different from any other but it still was memorizing. He had met this woman once before.

            “Arria…” Anaela whispered.

            Searon looked to Anaela for a moment before gazing back to where Arria stood now walking towards them. She did have the resemblance of her sister Starlyn, but it was nearly faded away by the darkness that overtook her. It was such a strange feeling that surrounded the woman.

            She seemed to have a power over him that he didn’t understand and he felt drawn to her like a moth to a flame. The same effect he had no doubt as he pictured himself as a moth getting closer to her only to be engulfed. It felt like magic encircled him and grabbed him tight forcing his way to her and it took nearly every fiber of his being to take a step back.

            He felt his hand graze upon Anaela’s and he quickly took it into his own and held tight. The swirl of emotions that cluttered his mind suddenly became clear. Arria was evil, and yet she seemed to have a power over him, a power that caused attraction towards her. Admittedly she was very attractive, but not in such a memorizing way that she was just a moment before. The touch of Anaela’s skin broke him from the spell and caused him to think more clearly than before. He knew now what was going on, the missing elves, humans, and spell casters. All of them were missing because of her… because of Arria.

#

            Chills ran up Anaela’s arm as Searon took her hand and she decided not to cast his hand away. No, she felt something, a connection between him and Arria that sent shudders down her spine. Moments ago he was gawking at her and now he seemed to be in a calm mindset now that he was touching her. Regretfully, she enjoyed the touching more than she would admit.

            “This is your doing, Arria.” Anaela spoke.

            An evil grin appeared on the undead elf’s face as she walked forward pursing her lips together. “Would you expect any less?”

            “I didn’t expect your return to be so soon.” Anaela admitted.

            “Surely you must take me for a weakling.” Arria spat.

            “What are you up to?” Anaela asked.

            “Wouldn’t you like to know?” Arria replied.

            Anaela pulled her bow and an obsidian arrow from her pouch aiming it directly at Arria. The reaction wasn’t what she expected as Arria began to laugh, a cruel heartless laugh that echoed through the wilderness.

            “I must stop you.” Anaela warned.

            “I do not have time for this.” Arria uttered.

            “Make time.” Searon spoke for the first time drawing his crimson claymore from its scabbard.

            Without another uttered word Arria dashed towards them parrying her sword in downward strikes towards Searon. Anaela quickly fell back and strung her bow firing arrow after arrow towards Arria with perfect accuracy. With amazing reflexes she watched as Arria tossed and turned her way out of each arrow with lightning speed. Another few she was able to deflect with swirls of her sword.

            After a handful of shattered obsidian arrows Anaela decided to put her bow up and pull her short sword from her back. She wasn’t as effective with her sword as she was a skilled archer but Arria was able to dodge arrows while battling against Searon. It was time for a new approach and she only hoped that it would be affective to the undead elf.

            The clashing of swords echoed through the forest and caused a few shrieks of animals as they scurried by. Arria was doing an excellent job parrying against both of their attacks especially since their different styles and swords. Arria’s sword was a medium flamberge which easily locked the others in its curved joints even with Searon’s large claymore and Anaela’s short sword.

            Anaela tried swiftly attacking from behind Arria only to be blocked of every strike and hit on her shoulder plate. The stinging sensation caused her to retreat a few steps as she repositioned herself. It gave Arria enough time to overcome Searon’s strikes and knock his sword from within his grasp. Anaela watched in horror as his claymore went clattering on the ground.

            Anaela jumped forward in an attempt to save Searon in a quick parry of offensive attacks. It caught Arria off guard as she backed away from her slashes and strikes only barely able to sustain herself. She wasn’t sure what overcame her, but the sight of Searon in danger brought something within her that she didn’t even know existed. She had compassion of another and the burning desire to keep him safe.

            Her quicken attacks caused lack of concentration that brought mistakes in her offense. Arria quickly noticed this and pressed forward with her own offensive attacks. Anaela didn’t notice the dagger that Arria pulled from her pouch and slashed with it. The attack didn’t cause immediate damage to Anaela as it merely brushed across her armor a few slashes.

            Searon jumped in now and she watched as the hilt of Arria’s sword collided with his head and his claymore once again clattered to the ground. Enraged Anaela rushed forward delivering quickened blows towards Arria’s defenses only to be blocked from every angle. After a low attack she realized her mistake as she saw the handle of Arria’s dagger coming right for her face.

            The last thing she remembered was her knees losing the strength to support her weight and crumbling towards the ground. Blackness overtook her as she felt limp on the ground, but not before one last look through her hazy eyes at the grinning undead elf that seemed to slide her sword back in its scabbard and continue on her way.