Hurricane

John relished in the peaceful silence that rested over the apartment, the quiet only broken by the frantic tapping of Alexander's keys, which had faded into the background long ago. Lafayette had swirled out of the apartment in a frenzy a few hours earlier, eager to go out to drinks with Hercules, allowing John some time to relax with his book, homework forgotten on the kitchen table.

John's head rested against Alexander's shoulder, legs stretched out across the length of the couch, Alexander curled up at the very end, bare toes peeking out of the sweatpants he'd stolen from Lafayette. John let his eyes roam over his boyfriend, admiring the way his dark eyes lit up as he tapped out a particularly riveting sentence and how the oversized sweatshirt he was wearing, stolen from John, slipped down one of his shoulders.

"Don't you have any clothes of your own?" John teased, poking Alexander's cheek playfully. Alexander turned to look at him, an expression of mock-exasperation painted across his face, and John gave him a shit-eating grin.

John felt a warmth burst into his chest at the smile that broke out onto his boyfriend's face.

"You know you like it," Alexander said, waggling his eyebrows suggestively. John laughed and pecked Alexander's nose with his lips. Alexander grinned at him before grabbing the back of his neck and pulling him towards him, capturing John's lips with his own. John melted into the kiss, cupping Alexander's face in his hands, not removing them when they pulled away.

"I love you," John said breathlessly.

"I love you," Alexander said, giving him one more smack on the lips before turning back to his work, somehow managing to type with one hand. The other was being held hostage by John, the two's fingers loosely tangled together and resting between them. John felt boneless with content, burying himself into his book and feeling Alexander breathe deeply beside him.

Rain started to lazily patter down, but it was only when the rain started to come down harder that John felt Alex grow tense beside him. John sat up from his place snuggled up to Alexander and looked at his face, feeling worry knot in the pit of his stomach. His boyfriend's face was pale and drawn, and he was staring at the computer on his lap blankly, fingers motionless. John placed his hand against Alexander's cheek to get his attention, and as soon as he had intense brown eyes on him, he asked, "Are you alright?"

Alexander stared at him for a moment before giving him a reassuring smile, albeit a little shaky. "I'm fine," he said simply, and gave John a quick peck on the lips before turning back to his computer, smile falling off of his face to be replaced with tension.

John watched him closely, satisfied only when Alex's fingers began to catch up to their regular breakneck speed as he jotted down his thoughts. John pressed himself up against him, soaking up his warmth as he buried himself back into his book, the world around him fading away in favor of a fictional one.

He was quickly torn back out of his novel when the window flew open violently, flapping loudly against the wall and letting in a torrent of rain. John and Alexander both jumped, and John raced to the window, slamming it shut and locking it forcefully. He stared out at the rain, now a violent onslaught, and jumped a little as thunder cracked overhead. He turned to look at Alex, a grin spreading quickly across his face.

"Alex, you should come ov--" he cut himself off, startled to find his boyfriend with his knees drawn up to his chest, arms wrapped around his legs and his face buried into them. His whole body was shaking. "Shit," John swore, instantly at his side. He knelt on the ground and picked up Alexander's laptop, which had been knocked to the floor, and saved his work before closing it. He then turned his attentions towards his boyfriend.

"Alex?" he said gently, sliding up onto the couch. He could hear shaky breathing and muttered nonsense, and he felt his heart drop into his stomach. "It's going to be okay, Alex, oh my God, come here, babe," John murmured, reaching out for the smaller man. He unwrapped Alexander from himself and pulled him into his own arms, letting Alex bury his face into his chest. He pulled out the rubber band holding Alex's hair back, winding his fingers through the dark strands and combing through it, placing gentle kisses onto the crown of his head.