His Royal Secret. 4

I sucked in air deeply, letting the oxygen calm my lungs. This wasn't how it was supposed to happen. Actually, come to think of it, this wasn't supposed to happen, period.

My stomach churned, as I looked down below the helicopter. I forgot how much I hated heights. Sticking my head between my legs, I rocked back and forth and tried to soothe my nerves.

"Adele, are you alright?" Stef asked, rubbing my back.

I dry heaved a little. "I can't meet your parents . . ."

"I know, I know. This is going terribly wrong," he muttered. "But we have to make do with what we can."

"What will they think?" I lifted my head in a frantic moment. "That I'm some poor, pathetic prostitute that you found in a brothel and took pity on?"

Stef gasped at my filthy remark, then raised his eyebrow. "Now why would they think that?" 

"Because I'm not your girlfriend! I'm just a girl who you take out," I exclaimed, throwing myself back down. 

"Adele, please stop worrying," he cooed. "Everything's going to be fine. I promise. I'll take care of this."

I grunted, muttered under my breath, and proceeded to vomit into one of the bags the commanding officers had given to me.

* * *

I got off the helicopter feeling and looking my worse. How could I possibly make a good impression on such terms? The sun beamed into my eyes, causing my vision to be blurred for a good twenty seconds. When my eyes adjusted to the light, they focused on the architecture that stood before me. A seven-story castle, with high rising white stone walls and onyx roof tops, was home to the royal family. Windows with gold edges covered every side of the castle. Detailed carvings topped the fortress, and statues and gargoyles watched the kingdom below. The draw gates opened for us automatically as we strutted forward. 

Inside, the hallowed halls dazzled of ruby and gold, as priceless valuables furnished every corner. The marble floor and stone ceiling created an unbearable echo. I held onto Stef's arm as we were led through the mesmerizing maze. We were brought to the Great Parlor, where the castle guards bowed before opening the enormous doors. The King and Queen sat in their elevated chairs at the end of the room, causing my knees to tremble as I took that long walk towards them. I smoothed down my hair as I tried my hardest not to slip on the hard polished floors. Stef, who was two steps ahead of me, proudly strutted, like a Prince would. In the presence of his parents, he was transformed from the average man he pretended to be to the man he was born to be. 

When he reached the stairs below their royal thrones, he sat on one knee and bowed. Upon my arrival, I did the same, keeping my head low and avoiding any sort of eye contact.

"Stefano," the King boomed with a thick accent. "We are not pleased. Gallivanting through the streets, escorting indigent dames around, neglecting your duties. I thought we raised you better." 

"Father . . ."

The Queen interrupted. "How do you think this makes us look? Who do you think you are, Prince Harry of Wales? You've become an embarrassment." Her glowing blue eyes flickered with fire. 

"Mother, Father, I'm sorry," he exclaimed. "I wouldn't expect you to understand if I tried to explain."

"Explain what? Why you've acted like a fool? How about explaining this," the King roared, pointing his pudgy finger at me. 

I choked. "Me?"

"You've been running into town, jaunting around with this broad for weeks, hiding her from us," the King exclaimed, as if I wasn't even there.