4. Troll? Go to the Dungeons!

Start from the beginning

It was very crowded with every student in the common room, so many Hufflepuffs disappeared through round wooden doors into their dormitories.

All the prefects were gathered in the corner, talking amongst each other. Torch was distractedly fixing his hair while Blaise Zabini sulked in darkness.

A third-year Hufflepuff boy was recounting a match from the latest Quidditch World Cup, Scotland vs Canada, to lift spirits. His name was Cedric something. Many students were crowded around him, listening. The only Slytherins there, Wilby and a blonde girl, were paying close attention.

"We'll be fine," Drew assured Eliza. "Really, it's just one creature. There's no need to worry."

Eliza released her forearm, "Yes, I suppose you are right."

Eventually, the troll must have been taken care of. Food was sent down, and the Slytherins were allowed to return to the dungeons.

* ° * ° *

The troll attack had shaken the Slytherins considerably. Not only did the troll go through the dungeons, but one of their popular third-year Chasers had actually gotten injured, and a prefect had gone out to save him.

Needless to say, everyone needed some cheering up. It would also be seven days until Drew would return to her home for winter vacation, and she wanted to make the most of it.

But she never thought the chance would fall right into her hands. The Weasley twins and Lee Jordan had found an ice cube that would freeze anything it touched, and Drew overheard their conversation and convinced them to lend it to her.

And that's how it started.

Neville screamed and dropped his toad when Drew and Eliza spun twice on a sled, slammed into a wall, and zipped past him down the hallway.

Drew had borrowed the sled from Hagrid (with permission, since it was in his hut and they didn't want to bother planning a heist), and attached the ice cube to the front, half-wrapped in a magical handkerchief so the sled didn't freeze as well.

The temperature had dropped to the negatives, and the sled left an icy white path on the floor, and frost raced up the walls like a reverse waterfall.

It wasn't as bumpy as she'd thought it would be, the ice cube made the ride extremely smooth, until they crashed into a wall and dislodged a brick or two. The Slytherin Head Boy had begun chasing after them, "STOP!! DETENTION FOR —"

They didn't hear what he said next, because they had already turned a sharp 90°, skidded against the wall, and continued onward. Going down a stairwell gave them enough boost to sled down the hallway and down the next stairway, and Eliza and Drew were having the time of their lives.

"THIS IS AMAZINGGG!" Eliza screamed, her black hair flying out behind her like a cape.

They reached the moving staircases, and everyone froze (not literally) when they saw a sled making its way down. Filch made a rude gesture at them from below. Most students were just shocked, some were outraged, and some were awed, like Wilby Blue.

At the top floor, the Weasley twins hooted and threw shredded pieces of parchment over the side. Then they turned and left, probably to get to Hogsmeade through a secret passage.

Drew took a dangerous risk when she steered the sled down a moving staircase that wasn't yet in motion.

They made it to the end and spun four times until they could continue on their way. Aurora saw them speeding towards her and dropped her books in horror, "DREW! What are you doing?"

Drew ignored her. They whipped around a corner and flew down the staircase to the dungeons.

Quentin and his two friends dived out of the way, and Drew yelled "hey brat!" when they flew past Isabell.

And that's when everything went wrong.

A flash of light and a mini-explosion took place right behind Drew, and Eliza was blown off the sled.

* ° * ° *

"I'm only talking to you because you're talking to me," Drew informed him unhappily.

In the Slytherin common room, Wilby nodded like the claim made perfect sense.

She supposed that it did. These last few days he'd just been following her around until she'd acknowledged his presence.

"Is Eliza okay?" he asked, always caring for other people.

Eliza Skull had not died, to Drew's relief, but she had a serious concussion and a sprained wrist. Nobody had believed her when Drew had said that Isabell had caused her to fall. Madam Pomfrey might have, but there was no proof. First years weren't even supposed to know how to blow things up.

"I'm sure she'll be fine. Madam Pomfrey's skill is unrivalled. De Montmorency is such an evil little brat."

"Yeah," he was poking the table with his quill. They were doing homework, and Drew was trying to figure out the amount of opium needed for a Babbling Beverage in her head.

Drew wanted some opium to give Isabell.