23: The Calm Before the Storm

Jack's POV

"Ya know, it usually helps when you respond in a conversation." I told Mark, staring down at the man. He lay peacefully, eyes closed and stretched out similar to a starfish. One hand rested over his chest, just where his blankets were brought up and resting, and he stared at the ceiling, or would have been if he wasn't sleeping. I sat in a chair next to his bed on the side I usually slept for his dream, and I was hunched over my knees, my chin resting on one hand propped up by my elbow, and I sighed. I usually talked to Mark while he slept, sometimes about nonsense, other times about what I was feeling at the time. He never showed any signs of hearing me, in a dream or outside, but it felt nice to talk to him. The only downside was ranting to him meant I wanted a response, and most of the time I could deal with the fact that I wouldn't get one. However, today I just wanted to hear his voice. Maybe it was because Wade told me to take the day off, but I just wanted to speak with him. "It's kinda hard when you're asleep, I guess."

Mark made no notion that he had heard me, and I sighed, sitting back and watching him. I so desperately wanted to see the man, to hold him. I wanted to touch him, to kiss him. It felt like it had been ages since we'd last shared an intimate moment, and I still had so many questions for him. I didn't understand these sudden feelings, but I wanted them myself. Despite having days off, it had been awhile since I had time to just think about Mark and I, what we were or should be I guess. I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees and cupping my hands together in thought. I wanted to know what Mark was thinking, but it was difficult when he couldn't say. Even in the dreams, the one time we were able to speak was ruined by Dark's storm, and went by too quickly in the cave. I wanted to hold him again. I wanted to remember what it felt like to kiss him, what he tasted like.

I quickly shook these thoughts from my head, knowing that it was useless to consider something like this at the moment. For now, I was stuck in the cycle of fighting Mark's dreams. There was no escaping it, and I could consider these possibilities once he awoke. "If he wakes." A small part of me reminding myself, and I scoffed audibly. I wouldn't let anything happen to Mark, and part of me fiercely resented whichever part of my brain spoke those words. I would fight for Mark, and I would do anything and everything in my power to keep him safe. Dark, by the end of this, would submit, and I would make sure of it. Instead, I let my eyes wander over Mark's figure again, sleeping soundly. I sighed, hanging my head and staring down at my feet.

"Mark, I wish you would just wake up." I whispered to myself. "Dammit, I don't know if what I'm doing is right, or if I should even be the one doing this at all. There's got to be a better way of doing this, or I honestly don't know what I'm doing. What is right anymore?" I asked, and I looked up at Mark's form. This is one of those times that I wish he would open his eyes, sit up, and answer me. Maybe even put on his glasses, run a hand through his hair in the handsome way he usually does. Yet he remained silent, stoic, laying still on the bed and showing no sign of having heard what I said. I hung my head again, feeling like I wanted to cry as I stared at my socks. Was I really doing the right thing here? I wasn't sure, I had no way of knowing what was correct anymore. How many more of these dreams would I have to go through? Or was there even an end to them?

"Jack, it's okay." I heard Mark's voice, and for a moment, I stiffened, feeling joy shoot through me. Then, I recalled what happened the last time that Mark 'woke up.' I sighed, turning away from Mark's bed. I didn't want to see him awake, it would only upset me to know that it wasn't really him there. "You're doing the right thing."

"Shut up, Dark." I said sharply, forcing myself not to cry as I faced the wall behind me. I had no interest in dealing with this right now, and despite Bob and Wade asking me to keep an eye on Mark, I had no problem getting up and walking out of the room. Mark was tied down again so he couldn't move, and I knew that it would be easy to escape his voice and just him in general that way, but it still hurt to know that it wasn't him.