I Don't Know How To

Chapter Twenty Nine

"What the hell?!" Preston shouted, slaming on the brakes causing me to hit my head on the dashboard.

"What the hell?!" I shouted back, smacking him on the back of the head. But then I realzied we were 'what the hell'ing at different things. Preston's jaw sat slighty clenched as he stared at something in the distance. I followed his gaze and could just make out Cali standing with someone on the porch. It looked like a guy.

Without warning, Preston jumped out of the car that was parked in front of the barn. He ran around to the back of the barn before disappearing. I was still fixed on Cali and the stranger as I made my way out of the truck and slowly following Preston. I didn't think they saw us, and I'm pretty sure Preston didn't want them to.

"Who is that?" I whispered as I came to lean next to Preston on one of the horse stall doors. We had a clear view of the scene unfolding and the two had just separated from their hug.

"Johnston the perv."

I almost started laughing. He had to be kidding. The one time I saw Cali and him interact, I got the impression that she would murder him if it was legal. I thought Preston was making a joke. I soon realzied he wasn't.

"Why would he be here?" I asked after a few moment of silence. Cali nodded her head and Johnston smiled. They hugged once more before they both walked off the porch.

"I don't know but I'm going to find out." And with that, Preston pushed off the door and exited the barn. I moved further inside so I was out of Cali's sight but still within hearing distance.

I don't really know if I was jealous or angry. I mean, it wasn't like I caught them kissing or anything. I'm just not one of those guys who can't trust his girlfriend. Of course I would want a full explanation, but I wasn't nearly as pissed as Preston seemed.

I heard their conversation and even I could tell that Cali really didn't want to talk to Pres. But he just kept pressing the issue. I moved a few feet to the right while still leaning against the door. At the same time, Cali hurried around Preston only to be met by me. It was like she was being surrounded and couldn't get out.

"Hey," I said after we stared at each other for a few minutes. But I immediately regretted saying anything. My voice sounded angry for some reason. Yeah I was angry, but not anything like Preston. My voice didn't help the situation.

Cali suddenly looked like she was about to burst into tears but she pulled herself together. She gave me a longing look, as if she was pleading for me to let or go something. I pushed off the door and gave her a small nod with a smile. I was just about to reach for her hand when she took an abrupt step back.

"Alone. Please," she whispered while avoiding my eyes. I swallowed the lump forming in my throat before taking a step back. Why is my life so messed up?

I don't remember signing up for the leading role on a famous soap opera.

Preston came to stand next to me as we watched her walk off towards the back fields. She kept her head tilted towards the ground and didn't look back. And that's when I got it. She needed this walk. I couldn't follow her this time.

And I was okay with that. I don't really know what goes on in girls minds, but I could read that Cali needed to be alone. Following her wouldn't do any good. As hard as that was for me to expect.

"I gotta help her. Just do anything," I finally said after about five minutes after Cali vanished behind the small hill.

"How?" Preston asked as we began walking towards the house in sync.