Our Picture Perfect Future

Chapter Twenty Five

Cali - September - Three Weeks Later

"Sounds beautiful, babe," Jay said with a giddy smile as he walked down the hallway towards me. I had been up here all morning, goofing off on the guitar while he was out in the fields.

As he walked towards me, those familiar butterflies filled my stomach. Whenever Jay was near me, they would suddenly be on high alert and start flying everywhere. So many times I thought they had finally mellowed and wouldn't show up every time he did, but that never happened. Not that I minded though.

He took a seat on the hay next to me and listened. "Well, I can't play with you sitting there," I said as his eyes met mine. The way the sunlight shone through the small window above us, reflected off his eyes, making them sparkle. I loved his eyes and could stare at them forever. They were filled with happiness and love.

A playful smile spread across his lips. "You mean you can't concentrate when I'm sitting here all hot like," he said, motioning to his body. I couldn't hide the effect his comments have on me. The blush crept up my face and I bit my bottom lip out of force of habit. I rolled my eyes but secretly loved his cockiness.

Hell, I loved everything about this guy.

"Um, no. Not when you're all sweaty and gross," I replied standing up and putting the guitar back in its place. I love that guitar. It's so old yet beautiful. I love that it has Jay's name on it and that it holds special memories for him. It makes it so sentimental.

I tried to walk past him, but his muscular arm wrapped around my waist pulling me to him. "Would you like to repeat that?" He asked pressing his nose and mouth against the side of my head. I could feel his hot breath against my neck and that sent shivers and tingles down my entire body. How did I ever get so lucky?

"Nope," I said, turning in his arms to look at him. He looked surprised that I didn't fight back, but I took his weak moment as a chance to run. I sprinted out of his arms and down the ladder. I got outside the barn and saw Preston sitting on the back of his truck drinking water. They must have come back for a break. I didn't blame then. It was over one hundred degrees and they were outside all the time. I would die.

"Hey you."

"Hey," I replied, jumping up on the truck next to him. I could hear Jay coming so I hid behind Preston.

"You know where she went?" He asked.

"Into the house," Preston said. He sounded very convincing. I had to hold back laughter.

"Thanks. I gotta pee and then I'll be back," Jay said heading up towards the house. Once he was inside, I relaxed and sat up in a normal position.

"Thank you," I said with a giggle.

"Any time. But I must say, I think I liked you both better when you weren't all lovey dovey," he said nudging my shoulder. Him being so strong nearly threw me off the truck.

"I'm still the same girl. Don't you worry," I said smiling at him. He was about to respond when my phone rang. Damnit.

"That woman can not take a hint," Preston said quietly. I silently agreed by not saying anything. Anything having to do with her made me angry. I decided to change the topic before I started going off about her to poor Preston.

"Do you know when Jay is supposed to be leaving?" I asked nervously. Jay always told me he didn't know, but I think he did. I knew he was only here for a punishment, but he made it sound like he wanted to stay. And honestly, if he wasn't here, I don't think I would stay either. I wouldn't move in with him or anything like that, but I would probably finally go to Stanford or something. Maybe actually make something of my life instead of living in fairy tale world here on the farm. Not that I had a problem with fairy tale world.