Chapter Six ~ The First Of Many

"Where were you last night?" My mom asked plainly.

I knew she wasn't actually interested, as I never got into trouble; she was merely doing her parental duties by questioning my whereabouts.

"The park." I answered; shrugging it off and making it seem as droll as she had asked.

She looked over her pancakes at me, half smiling.

"With whom?" She asked.

A newfound interest and curiosity now presided in her voice. Her eyebrows wriggled up in regard. I looked back at her, trying to hide my annoyance as I had hoped to avoid this subject. I really would have liked for her to assume I had wandered off alone, maybe to read.

"The boy across the street." I muttered honestly, seeming disinterested in an attempt to play the event down.

I hadn't really intended on letting my mom know that I had made friends with a boy. I knew it would only get her gears turning.

"What?" My mom almost gagged, sitting up in her seat now.

"What?" I parroted, surprised by her apparent shock.

I thought she would be thrilled. I thought she would embarrass me by making wedding plans, and asking if she could sew my dress.

"Why?" She inquired, relaxing again in an attempt to look calm.

I shook my head, sighing at my lack of reasoning.

"He just wanted someone to show him around." I said, pursing my lips passively.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" She asked, taking another bite of her pancakes.

This was odd. Why was she so repelled by him? She didn't even know him. I wagered that she hadn't even seen him or his parents yet.

"I just showed him around mom. He didn't try to rape me or anything." I joked, trying to lighten the tension her entire persona now possessed.

Her face fell in judgment, her thin fingers drummed the breakfast table.

"Why would you say that? That's not funny." She barked.

Legitimate worry for my safety flashed in her eyes. Where was all of this hostility coming from? My mom was never judgmental of people like this. My eyelids fluttered in uncertainty as I tried to rationalize her hostility.

"Okay seriously mom." I started, taking a sip from my glass of milk.

"Fill me in. Why shouldn't I hang out with Harry? I mean it wouldn't matter, it's not like we're going to be best friends or anything. I just showed him around."

She calmed herself, bringing her hand to her coffee cup, lifting it as if to take a sip, but then setting it back down dismissively.

"It's just not a good idea." She informed me, expecting me to take that as a good enough reason.

I don't know why she assumed I would just drop the subject at that. Her ethos was weak with me... and even if it hadn't been, I was never one to simply take someone's word for something. Reasons meant all of the difference.

"Mom, what's wrong with Harry?" I asked, staring at her, unmoving.

To be honest I was a bit worried. What could she possibly know about him? Her thinly veiled attempt at passiveness on the now questionable background of our new neighbors wasn't fooling anyone.

"It's just... I hear things." She muttered, taking a sip from her coffee mug.

Her mauve lipstick stained a print on the porcelain cup.