Four

The common always seemed dark and dismal this time of night, when there wasn't children playing on it and people walking their dogs. However if it was a clear night and there weren't any clouds, it was really worth just lying on the floor and admiring the beautiful sky with the moon and stars. 

I checked my watch. One o'clock. Macey should be here by now, I thought.

I continued to walk around the edge of the big field with my hands deep in my pockets. It was colder than it was the night before. Probably around 5 degrees. 

I then spotted Macey sat up against a tree with her eyes closed and a blanket over her legs. When I got to her I wasn't sure if she was sleeping or just resting her eyes. 

"Macey?" 

She suddenly opened her eyes and smiled at me. "Hey Harry! Right, I need to speak to you." She said with a serious face. She gently took the blanket from her legs and patted the grass next to her. "Sit."

I sat down next to her making sure I wasn't too close to make her uncomfortable. She covered my legs with the blanket, which were much longer than hers so I tucked them up by my chest so my feet weren't sticking out. 

"I was thinking... I know we haven't spoke much recently and everything  but maybe you'd like me to come with you to the doctors? You know, to see if you actually have insomnia and if we can get some medication or something to help you sleep?" Macey said, which took my by surprise.

It took a couple of seconds for me to think about her proposition and then I looked over to her. 

"You'd do that with me?"

"Of course" She nodded, "I know we're not as close any more and I feel awful, because I've missed being with you and your company." That made my heart skip a beat, and I tried to hide it on my face. 

"I've missed you too" I replied with a small nod.

"You're a good guy Harry and I've neglected that. I miss being your best friend" She said to me and I smiled at her.

"Yes."

"Yes what?"

"You can come with me to the doctors" I said, hesitantly but surely. 

"That's great Harry. Are you going to make an appointment then? I can meet you at your house. You can drive, or I can if you want. I know what it's like not being able to sleep and I'd like to help you as much as possible. No one should have to be alone with their thoughts at God knows what time in the morning."

"I will yes, thankyou Mace"

"No one's called me that since we were smaller" Macey smiled and looked at the ground. I smiled remembering our friendship but then my smile diminished when I remembered Macey's hard childhood and how her parents didn't care for her much. I then quickly changed the subject.

"I like the look of your shoes" 

"Really? Thanks Harry! They're Doc Martins. My friends don't like them because apparently they aren't 'feminine' enough. Bullshit!" Macey said and I frowned again.

"Don't let anyone tell you what you should or shouldn't wear" I felt a wave of protectiveness over this broken girl I've known for so long and they haven't. 

"I try not to. I don't tend to listen a lot of the time, it's difficult being with girls so much. There's a lot of bitchiness and stupid fights over things that don't matter. I miss having a boy to keep me in check" She said with a jokey wink which made me laugh.

In that moment I realised how much I had missed this girl and how strong my love was for her; how much time we missed out on being apart. That's when I decided I'd never let our friendship slip again.

***

The next day at school was good. My classes went well and I got a B in a small test we did in Maths, which is an improvement from the D's I've been getting recently. I had to retake Maths because I failed it the first time around, which was really disappointing for me. I'd have really liked to get the grades the first time around to study more in college. Unfortunately being incredibly tired along with a wandering mind leaves not a lot of time for useful revision and school work. 

I got through the front door after school and was welcomed by my mum, who was cooking something in the kitchen. 

"Harry! How are you?" She said with a smile, turning around with a wooden spoon in her hand.

"I'm good thanks mum, what are you cooking?"

"I'm trying a few new recipes from this book I got" My mum said, continuing to stir whatever was in the pan on the cooker. 

"Sounds nice. I'm going upstairs for a bit, can you tell me when it's ready?" I asked. 

"Of course Honey" 

My mum was the best person at embarrassing me, whether it was 'cute' nicknames (ones not suitable for an 18 year old boy) or silly childhood stories, she was brilliant at it. However, me and my mum had a good relationship which I hoped would last a lifetime as she's often been my rock in many situations, always understanding and knowing what to say. 

I made my way up to my room, phone in hand, ready to book an appointment at the doctors. I hate the doctors. However I think most people do. 

I had to physically talk myself into pressing the call button. After pacing my room three times, I did it, hand shaking slightly. 

The call went well, and I'd booked myself an appointment on Friday at 5pm. Then it was time to call Macey and tell her. She'd given me her new number at school and I had it in my phone. 

Macey picked up on the third ring.

"Hey Harry!" She said in the bright voice that I loved.

"Hey Macey, I booked an appointment" I said, smiling to myself proudly.

"Well done! What time is it and I can double check I'm available" 

"It's at 5pm on Friday" I said, hoping she was okay for that date and time.

"Ah! That's perfect, I have plans for Friday but they're not until later." She said, which made me curious. 

"Doing anything nice?" I questioned.

"I have a date"

cliffhanger lol .

sorry i haven't updated i've been super busy as it's my last year at school & school's a bitch haha ;-)