The Man I Met On a Hill

I fell asleep with my face resting on Laxus's bed. My imagination drifted and my memories flooded back to me.

17 years ago---

"(Y/n)! Come outside for training!"

"Yes father!"

I ran out of my house into an open dirt field. My father waited for me with little patience. I was only 9, but as the oldest, I was expected to be the strongest.

"Hit me."

My father demanded with a straight face. I felt a lump in my throat and butterflied in my stomach. My father is the strongest person I know and he's asking me to land a hit on him, just one hit.

After a few seconds of me standing still, I was finally ready. I prepared myself and got into a battle position.

"Good."

His smirk frightened me, it was as if he could predict every movement, like I was some piece on a board. I inched my foot forward with little effort. I wonder if he noticed?

"Requip!"

His armor suddenly changed and a large broadsword appeared in his right hand. I reacted quickly and casted my own spell.

"Mimic: shadow magic!"

A shadow wrapped around us and completely surrounded us, but my father didn't flinch. He rushed me and knocked me over with the back of his sword.

"You're done for today. Get cleaned up and go back to your room."

I failed. I ran away from my father and hid my face from him. I was ashamed. I couldn't even land a single hit, I couldn't even defend myself. I ran and ran toward a grassy hill that overlooked my town. At the top of that hill was a lone tree that stood tall. I usually went there when I was feeling sad or helpless. No one else comes here after all. I forced my body to run up the hill, all the way to the very top, but when I finally reached the top, I spotted a man staring down a the town from the other side of the hill. I would've said something to him, but my sniffles and tears made me too embarrassed and I hid behind the trunk of the tree so he wouldn't see me. I couldn't hold back the tears any longer and let them fall down my face while I held my knees close to my chest.

"When did you get here?"

I looked up to see the orange haired man standing over me. He seemed to have bruises on his face and his smile looked a little malicious.

"..."

I didn't answer. I only rubbed my red eyes between sniffles. Then I heard a depressed sigh.

"Oh well. Go home kid."

He started to walk away, but I unconsciously grabbed the sleeve of his pants to make him stay.

"Woah! Don't touch me!"

He knocked my hand away and stood far away from me.

"Thats dangerous. You could've been hurt."

"S-sorry?"

I didn't understand. I just wanted him to stay. I didn't want to be alone. His yellow eyes checked our surroundings to see if anyone was watching. I looked too, but I didn't see anything.

"Good...no one's watching."

He spoke, then kneeled next to me and leaned against the tree.

"Whats wrong kid?"

I turned my head away. I didn't want him to see my face.

"Hmm? I'm Jackal."

I looked at him through the corner of my eye. I smiled slightly when I saw his cute orange ears and his big fluffy tail. Its so cute.

"Fine. Don't tell me your name. Can you use magic?"

I nodded.

"Really? Well, look what I can do."

He placed his hand on the grass in front of him and focused on that spot. Then it suddenly exploded. My eyes grew wide.

"Is that a type of fire magic?"

"...no...can you use fire magic?"

I held out my hand and showed it to him. My hand held a small flame that blazed orange, then blue, then green.

"Wow! I think I'll call you Phoenix."

"Phoenix?"

"Yeah, it's a firebird."

"I know..."

I sat up straight as Jackal became friendlier. My eyes were now fixated on his injuries. I reached my hand out to his face to examine the bruises, but he quickly flinched back.

"D-don't touch me!"

"...but your hurt."

"I'm fine...actually, I think you're the one who needs to be looked at."

He pointed at my arm and I noticed a large gash on my forearm. I didn't notice it earlier. I wrapped my sleeve around my arm and turned away.

"I'll be fine."

"...."

Jackal looked up at the sky and noticed that the sun had begun to set.

"Oh shoot! It's getting late! I have to go, see ya later Phoenix!"

He suddenly disappeared and left me alone under the tree. What a weird guy.