Future

"Zeref..."

"I must get going now. It's about time I showed myself."

"Zeref wait!"

I tried to stop him, but the black wizard disappeared in the blink of an eye. Frustrated and alone now, I began to remember everything I read about in that diary. Zeref is the cruel one, not fate.

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a burst of white light. I stared off into the distance as the light slowly dimmed and disappeared from my sight.

"What was...that?"

(Y/n)

"Igneel?"

My foundation shook and I suddenly got a terrible sinking feeling. The shifts in magic all around me were dizzying enough, but this feeling was different somehow.

As dawn finally broke on the horizon, the areas that were once battlefields had quieted down. I looked in the direction where the others were. Although everything had quieted down, there was one last beam of light in the sky. A beautiful red beam that resonated in the air with strength and sadness. As the light slowly began to fade, I realized that the era of dragons was finally over. It was up to us now.

--

The battle was finally over, but the scars and damage that was left behind was tremendous. A week had passed and most everyone had made a full recovery. The townspeople were finally recovering and beginning to rebuild the town.

I was waiting in the hospital with Bixlow, Fried, and Evergreen. Laxus was still unconscious even after he had been treated by Miss Porlyusica.

"Laxus..."

"Man! Could he have been anymore reckless?"

Bixlow complained as he waited impatiently by Laxus' bedside.

"Miss Porlyusica said it was a miracle that he even made it back alive."

"...He is going to wake up right?"

"Of course he is!"

Bixlow and Evergreen's conversation began to make me feel uneasy. I sat in a chair near Laxus' bedside and gripped his large hand. The warmth would've comforted me if I wasn't so worried about him right now.

"Laxus, open your eyes."

I whispered under my breath while the other three in the room began arguing with each other. Right when I was about to step in and break them up, the hand in mine shifted and I froze. My chest tightened as I looked down at the familiar face. Laxus groaned then slowly opened his eyes and stared right at me.

"(Y/n)...?"

"Laxus!"

"You're awake!"

The others seemed relieved and happy that Laxus finally opened his eyes, but I couldn't even look up as he sat up in his bed. I just stared at my hand that was still wrapped around Laxus'. I couldn't stop thinking about how I almost lost him, the man I loved. I don't want to go through anything like that ever again.

"I'm pathetic."

"Huh?"

Laxus' unexpectedly blunt comment broke my train of thought. I looked up at him with shock, despair still present in my eyes. Laxus suddenly grabbed everyone and hugged them close.

"Laxus!?"

I shouted and tried to escape, but Laxus refused to let go.

"I'm not good enough...to protect what I care about. Not as I am now."

Laxus. His eyes were serious and full of relief. He was really worried about everyone.

"Haha okay, let's go."

Bixlow escaped Laxus' hug and grabbed Evergreen and Fried. He dragged them against their wills and forced them out. Before leaving the room himself, he turned back to Laxus and I and smirked.

"I'll let you two be alone now. Don't do anything too dangerous."

He teased us and my face began to burn.

"D-Damnit Bix."

I sat on the bed with my legs hanging off the edge. Laxus' arm was still wrapped around my waist, but he didn't say anything.

"Laxus?"

"...(Y/n), here."

He slid a familiar tattered book into my lap and rested his head on my shoulder.

"My sketch book? How did you-"

"You must've left it with me before the guild exploded."

As I listened to his words, I remembered the explosion. My sketch book was on the bed next to Laxus when the guild hall exploded. Cana's magic must've protected my book and Laxus. I sighed in relief as I gingerly brought the old book to my chest.

"I thought...I thought it was destroyed."

Laxus suddenly pulled me into his lap and hugged me like I was the most precious thing in the world.

"Laxus?"

"I didn't know you could draw like that."

His comment caught me off guard as I tried to catch a glimpse of his face that was buried in my back.

"When did you draw us in there?"

Did he see the drawing? I opened my book to the last page with a drawing on it and laid it down on my lap.

"You were unconscious. I thought I was going to lose you, Laxus."

"I'm not going anywhere."

I could feel my heart ache and tears form at the edge of my eyes. There was so much I wanted to yell at him about. He was reckless and stubborn, he could've been killed, but all those thoughts disappeared as I turned my body to face him.

"Laxus."

I cupped his face in my hands and brought my lips to his. His warmth spread through my body and I could feel him yearning for more, but first, I had so much to tell him. I pulled away and hugged him.

"So you looked at the drawings?"

"Only a few."

"Did you see Jackal?"

Laxus remained quiet for a while. His answer was something that I never expected.

"It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what happened in the past. You don't need to tell me. I will stay with you no matter what (y/n). Just give me your future."

I smiled and hugged him tighter.

"Of course Laxus."