Chapter 12

Lucy's pov

  When we arrived back at 35 Portland Row, I expected the halls to be their normal mess, and I expected the kitchen to still have food stains on it. I thought that nothing would have changed, and I thought that the house would still have its disorganized charm.

  I was wrong.

  Very wrong.

  For starters, the whole color palette of the house was changed. Well, not really, the walls were still the same, but it was very hard to tell under all of the streamers and lanterns. And hearts. Lots of hearts. The whole inside of the house was a violent shade of either red, pink, or purple.

  I'd expected something to be amiss ever since I had overheard Lockwood and George speaking about a surprise this morning. But they wouldn't tell me. I and hadn't expected this.

  We stepped across the threshold, and even George and Lockwood took a few moments to have their eyes accustom to the sparkles and glitter. And they were the ones who presumably made our house look like the Valentine's Day section of Wal-Mart.

  George grinned, and waved his arm about with a magician's flourish. "Welcome home, Lucy. We stand in the home of Lockwood. The clever, handsome, and dashing Anthony Lockwood."

  I blushed a little, but I still kept my face straight. Lockwood and I had agreed that we weren't going to tell George that we were "together" until we got home. So, I sarcastically said, "Are you sure that we're in the right building?"

  "Oh yes. Of course. See, even the skull is here. Skully, say hi to Lucy."

  I heard the skull faintly whisper, "Kill me. I can't live here any more in a house that looks like Cupid vomited in it."

  "What did he say?" Lockwood asked.

  "He said that he's happy to see me," I said while rolling my eyes.

  "Wow. The skull actually said something nice for a change," George remarked.

  "Lucy, stop twisting my words! Tell them that they can all go boil their heads for all I care,"  the skull said angrily.

  "He also said that he's happy to see you guys to, and that he loves you to death! Death? Get it? He loves you so much that he died?" I tried to make a joke.

  "Wow, Lucy. That's the worst pun I've ever heard. You'll never get Lockwood to fall for you if you can't even make up for your incompetence with humor," the skull laughed.

  "Oh, shut up, you. He already has. It's not like he's gonna fall for you either," I said.

  "Wait what? Did I miss something? What did you say about falling for someone?" George asked suspiciously.

  "Oh, noooooothing. Not really anything of importance, no, not me, I never say anything important," I said while grinning and looking at Lockwood.

  George just raised a single eyebrow in response.

  "Should we tell him, Luce?" Lockwood grinned.

  "I don't know, do you reaaaally want to know, George?" I said evilly.

  "Know what? Tell me?" George pleaded.

  "Well Lockwood and I," I smirked.

  "Lockwood and you are what?" George asked.

  "Are," Lockwood joined in.

  "Yes?"

  I held up three fingers and counted down.

  "Dating!" We said once I didn't have any fingers left. He put an arm around my shoulder and we started laughing together.

  "WHAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME SOONER!!!!! OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH!!!!" George shouted.

  Lockwood smirked. "Wow, someone's excited." We laughed together.

  "OH MY GOSH, OH MY- oh, I mean, EWW, you guys are so gross. I'm just gonna be up in my room. To give you guys some alone time. I mean, you know, to be in my room. And not fanboy. Or anything of that nature," he started running.

  Lockwood and I heard his door slam. We also heard him yell incoherent things. One of them suspiciously sounded like, "I NEED TO UPDATE ALL OF MY FANFICTIONS!!!"

  It seemed a little awkward now that George was gone. "So, why did you guys do all of this decorating?" I asked.

  "Well, it was George's idea, really. He wanted me to confess my love for you on Valentine's Day here, so he decorated the whole house. To be honest, I think he overdid it," Lockwood laughed.

  "It's the thought that counts. Bless his little heart. Maybe one day it will grow three times larger so that he won't be the Grinch anymore," I smiled.

  From upstairs we heard something that sounded like, "I WONDER IF THEY'VE KISSED YET? I'LL HAVE TO ASK THEM SO I CAN WRITE EVERY SINGLE DETAIL OF IT IN MY NEW FAN FICTION CALLED LUCY REALLY REALLY LOVES LOCKWOOD SO WHY HAVEN'T THEY KISSED YET. I'M SURE EVERYONE ON WATTPAD WILL LOVE IT."

  Lockwood and I burst out laughing. "Maybe we'll tell him something along the lines of us being chased by 500 ghosts and we made it out alive and we kissed while the building exploded behind us. Yeah. Something really dramatic like that," Lockwood said.

  Footsteps sounded on the staircase. "Quick," I whispered. "Do as I say!" I then whispered a devious plan into Lockwood's ear.

  "Brilliant!" he grinned.

  George came into view. That's when Lockwood picked me up. "Oh, Lockwood," I said using my best sexy voice. "Thank you for saving me from all of those ghosts and assassins. Is there anything I can ever do to repay you?"

  George froze in his tracks. Great. My plan is working.

  "Well, there is one thing," he said smoothly. I had to work really hard to keep my face straight.

  "Oh? What's that? I'd do anything for you, handsome!" I said as seductively as I possibly could.

  Lockwood wiggled his eyebrows up and down repeatedly.

  We started to snog exaggeratedly. Even though it was meant to be a joke, it actually was quite enjoyable. And not to mention hilarious.

  "Okay, at first I was excited about you guys getting together, but now I think I'm just gonna go..." George ran back up into his room. Once he was safely out of earshot, Lockwood and I laughed so hard that we both ended up rolling on the floor.

  "Did you see the look on his face!" I managed to say in between laughs.

  Lockwood put back on the face he had used when he was pretending to be all seductive. "No, my love, because I was too busy exploring every inch of yours." He then cracked up immediately, and after I hit him lightly on the shoulder our laughing session doubled in intensity.

  "First Cupid vomit all over the house, and now this? I swear, I'm going to hate living here now. I think I about died again after watching that whole show. Someone, please kill me," the skull said sarcastically.

Ladies and gentlemen, that was the last chapter of Lucy's Day Off. I'm going to do a special author's note chapter after this, and maybe an epilogue, so please don't take this book out of your library yet. Thank you.

Love,

Eepster