Chapter 2

Lucy's pov

A monochrome scenery of gray vastness flashed past my window, but inside I felt sick. Now coming back seemed like a bad idea. What if I bumped into someone I knew? What if I met some those stupid idiots I used to go to school with? What if I saw him? That was what scared me the most. I feel like if I saw him, I'd either run away in fear or attack him.

I started to recognize things as the world and memories flashed past me. There was the meadow where I played. There was the stream where Mary and I lost the ball that lead to me discovering my Talent. The train slowed down; it pulled into the tiny station. The station where my father died. I still remember the relief when he had the accident; it made me feel guilty that I had been secretly pleased when he died. Of course, I'm still guilty about a lot of things.

I exited the train; only one other person got off the train. She was an older, dumpy sort of woman with wild gray hair and a slightly squashed face. She looked vaguely familiar, like some lost face out of a dream. From across the platform, she called in a raspy voice, "Luce? Is that you, dear?"

Of course! This was my great-aunt Maggie. "Hey Maggie, where've you been? I haven't seen you in forever!"

She pulled me into a bone-crushing hug. Maggie was one of the few family members that I actually liked. She whispered in my ear, "The better question, dear, is where have you been? I hear you've become quite the Listener, just like I was. Just to let you know, I'm proud of you no matter what other people say."

Now to normal people with nice families, they would just say thank you and continue talking. But to me this meant a lot. Maggie was the only person who thought I should become an agent for the purposes of good, not just to make money. She was the only person who really understood the hardships I faced as an agent. So it didn't really surprise me when a single tear rolled down my cheek. "Thank you," I whispered back.

"Now, we must get going if we're going to make your mother's funeral. Come along now, dear." She took my arm and we started walking towards the church. I didn't get to see her very much, especially since I had joined Lockwood and Co. Mam and Maggie didn't mix very well.

"Are you really going to her funeral?" I asked.

"Of course. She was my sister, even though I didn't like her very much. You of all people should know, Luce, that we must act like we care in order to keep up appearances." She said this in a kind of funny voice, like it meant more than I understood.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

The funeral was pretty nice. A small crowd of people, mostly my family, had come. I didn't cry or anything, in case you're wondering. I didn't really feel anything at all. In fact, I found myself zoning out through most of it. Afterwards, since it was getting dark, I found myself walking back to my house along with Mary. We had been busy catching up and had been chatting like old friends.

We were almost at the door of my house when I remembered something. "Damn! I forgot my suitcase down at the station! Ugh, I'd better go and get it before it gets too dark," I said.

"Surely you don't have to go right now," Mary said as she glanced behind her at the setting sun.

"I need to get it or else I won't have any clothes for tonight. Besides, I'm an agent. I can take care of myself. It's not that late," I reminded her.

"Just be careful, ok?"

I rolled my eyes. "Of course. I'm always careful. You know me," As I made it back down to the station, I felt a bit uneasy. Fighting Visitors in the open isn't a good idea, and if I ran into one, it might not end well. As I grabbed my suitcase, I thought I heard a voice on the wind.

 Lucy....

I froze. I just now noticed how cold it was. Visitor cold.

 Lucy....

I turned and looked behind me. And I saw.