Chapter 18 /:/ The Lost and the Hurt

Chapter 18: Carl's POV

It's been a couple of weeks since we've all shown symptoms to the virus. Many grew worse, while others got better.
Hershal was working on a cure for us, but it's taking longer than expected. He had to work slower as he had also caught the sickness.
After another though, people started dropping like flies and the people who were already healed put the dead away in the back. Later on, we would burn the bodies.
The people who were the worse out of all of us were quarantined in another block. They were there to be kept safe. Hershal was working on a cure, so we made ensure there was an option of saving everyone.

After a while, I got better.
My father, mother, and mostly everyone in our group did. It took awhile, but we managed to fight through it.

But that's not all were trying to fight off. My mother hasn't been feeling well lately. Once in awhile, she holding the bottom on her stomach and winces in pain. She usually has Maggie help her when she's 'drained' from energy.
Some people who didn't know, thought she got hurt in an accident or something in that matter.
After awhile, my mother finally told everyone who didn't know.
No, she wasn't hurt. She ached, granted.
But she wasn't what most expected. She was pregnant.

Everyone didn't believe her. She just thought that it was a joke or prank. It was none of those.
When she took off the clothing that hid her belly, they all stared in awe. They couldn't believe it.
People cheered.
People cried out with joy.

But lately, My mother has been separated from the group with maggie inside of a bunker. They wanted to keep her safe, and didn't want to get the baby sick. She knew it easy almost time, and we were all worried about her.

Time passed, day after day, she grew closer and before you knew it, she gave birth. To a healthy baby girl.
But what we didn't know, was that she needed a seasection for the baby to come out safely. But we weren't in a hospital. We couldn't sew the wound back up, or given her more blood if something went wrong.
She risked her life.
She gave her own, to give another.

When Maggie came out with a bloody towel wrapped around a crying baby as tears ran down her cheeks. She cried harder as she looked up at Rick, holding the baby close.
I soon came out, crying with a gun in my hand.
I did it, and she was gone.
I had saved my mother from turning into one of those things. But no matter how you look at it, I had killed my own mother.

----

I saw Y/N standing behind rick and everyone who was either crying or didnt want yo brlieve that Lori was dead. After seeing her, I couldn't hold back anymore. I ran up to her and wrapped my arms quickly around her, hugging her tightly. I cried a hiccuped into her shoulder. I've missed her, I've missed seeing her. She slightly pulled away, looking me in the eyes. "Are you alright?.."
"M-My mother... She didn't," I cried. "She didn't make it."

Y/N starred at me. "Shh, it's okay." SHE brought me back into another hug. "It's okay..."

She held me tightly. "Your mother gave her life for her children. She would want you to stay safe and protect your new sibling. She entrusted that life with you; she was always a good mom."
I nodded, agreeing.
"Please. She'd want you to be strong about this.. And I want you to be strong." She pulled my head up and layed her forehead on mine.
I nodded again, looking her in the eyes.

She ruffled my hair, and smiled softly at me like she was telling me that everything is going to be alright. I smiled and nodded again. I've missed her, she's always been there for me. I wouldn't know what to do if she was gone.
I think I would finally lose it.

-----

Days past and so many things happened. Good and bad.

Remember we were trying to save people who still had the virus? We couldn't do that anymore, as someone killed them all and burned their bodies. We don't know who yet, but whoever it is, is going to be in a hell lot of trouble.
Many were angry or broken because they believed that their loved ones would win through the sickness, but it didn't happen, and that's what caused an uproar.

Rick was with the baby a lot after he knew he had to be a good father and not hate the baby. He knew Lori gave her life for it, but he knew he should never take it out on the child. He wanted, needed, to become the father the baby deserved.
We didn't know what to name her, so I thought of my first grade teacher; she was my favorite.
I liked her name, so we named the baby after her. Her name was Judith.

Judith was healthy, but we had trouble finding baby food and the milk they needed.

Many people went out on multiple trips to hopefully find different foods for the group and baby.
Buy one day, someone came back with a great amount of food and talked about a place with a wall and other people.
They had stolen their supplies. We were grateful for the food, but we knew something bad was gonna come after this.
Though, Andrea found it concerning so she offered to go take a look at it.
She left, and after a while of not returning, we knew something was up. After that point on, we kept losing people. Left and right. It was Andrea, than others who couldn't stand it anymore and left the prison to adventure on their own.

Also someone from the 'other group' found us living at the prision.
We couldn't have them just walking in and either stealing our food and weapons or giving out our position. So we took him in and locked him in a cell to question him for later.

With all of this hell breaking lose, it got even worse. Even with less people in the prision, the walkers on the fence started getting out of hand. They tore it down once, so we had to cut down some more trees and put them up like pillars to support it even more. We had also put up heavy metal doors from a carrier train and spikes so walkers would stay away from the main fence.
It was difficult for all of us, as we had to take care of the animals, farm, the prison itself, and now the walkers. No one wanted to go and take care of them, so they all did the other chores.

It was just hard to manage them all. The more there was, the more noise that attracted more.

But Y/N knew it was dangerous, but she still killed more and more walkers every day as her chore. She wanted to live and protect everyone! She wasn't going to allow these walkers to started barging in on her dream like that.
She was strong.

"Y/N.." I walked up to her as she continued to kill walkers on the fence.
She turned around. "Hm?"
"The intruder... He, uhh.. wanted to talk to you." I told her.
"What?" She grew confused.
"He says he knows something about your father. He said that he knows him." I stared at her.
Her face fell. She couldn't believe it.

She quickly put away her knife. "Show me to him." She commanded.
I nodded, walking her to his cell.