3. A little fun can't hurt

The glorious smell of fresh pancakes and the aroma of coffee filled the café. It's the next day and i'm having breakfast with my childhood friend, Johann.

I received a text from him last night. He was feeling sorry that he couldn't come to the funeral so he thought he would treat me breakfast. He didn't really have to do this but it's a good timing, I didn't know what to do today anyway but to think about my decision. I thought maybe he could help me figure it out.

"I'm curious," I said after taking a little sip of my americano latte. "If you were in my shoes, what would you do?"

His brows met.  "First of all, I wouldn't fit in your shoes so what would I do there?" he said sarcastically.

"Hey! I'm being serious!" I said, a little annoyed.

He chuckled, put his hand on my head and messed up my hair. "That's why I said that. You're too serious right now. Just chill for some time. Let's finish our breakfast first and then talk about it. Okay?"

I just rolled my eyes at him and started eating my pancake. I thought a quiet little breakfast can't hurt. I haven't done this in a long time. We used to do this before things got rough for me.

After a few minutes of indulging our food and drinks, I had to get my mind on important things again. It was a nice few minutes of peace. Now it's time to get back on the war field again.

"Do you know a place far from here?" I asked.

"Yeah,"

"Great! So will you help me?"

"No."

I made a face. "Come on, quit joking now."

"Haha, are you really that serious now?"

"Yes! I am. It's a matter of life and death for me."

He cleared his throat and sat straight. He looks like he's about to say something normal now.

"Don't you think you're overly thinking and over reacting?" He asked.

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Do you know what you're saying?" I can't hide the shock in my face.

"No, I mean, your mom told you to be with him and the Attorney said the same thing-- so maybe it's the best for you, you know."

"You know, you're not helping." What he said just annoyed me. He talks like he is not on my side.

"You haven't even met him Serena. He couldn't be that bad." He goes on with his nonsense.

"If being a Serial Killer isn't that bad for you then I don't know what is!" I stood up in my seat. "Thanks for the breakfast and for saying no."

I stormed away from the café without even giving him a chance to reply and went straight to home. For a childhood friend, I was expecting something better from him. Something like "I'll be here for you." or  "Don't worry I got your back."  or at least just anything that could make me feel better not those things! I pictured it differently in my mind and he screwed it up.

After reaching home, I immediately threw myself on the bed and began thinking about my next moves. I also can't stop thinking about what Johann did. He's already surrendering when the war hasn't even started yet. What a sissy. I thought. I understand that he is a guy and he is tough but he couldn't even consider my feelings when he said those things to me? I just lost my mom and now i'm going into a custody and that was all that he could say? Although he has a point, a nonsense point.