My parents were occupying said sofa when the door opened, watching the news, which I was shocked to find was showing a picture of my father. They turned around and opened their mouths to speak, but I cut them off with a wave of the hand and walked over so that I could hear what the news reporters were saying.

Jord followed me, I could hear his footsteps behind me, but I paid him no mind and concentrated on the television.

Mr. Arthur Sledhill, as pictured, was arrested last week after kidnapping his seventeen year old daughter from her school car park and taking her to an abandoned warehouse just off Junction 29 of the M1 Motorway. When surrounded by police, he then carried her to his car at gunpoint, before the young girl’s teacher bravely intercepted and managed to save her life. There was one injury, a one of the girl’s friends who was caught up in the crossfire. He is currently being investigated and will be facing trial shortly.

I smiled at Jord when they mentioned him indirectly and he placed a hand on my shoulder, despite my parent’s presence, whilst we watched the rest of the report together.

Whilst his arrest means we are unable to speak to him directly, we’ve had a statement from his lawyer that shows his take on the incident.”

The screen flipped then to the same woman who’d represented him when trying to gain custody of me. Although he lost that case, he’d clearly trusted the same woman to do him justice this time.

Mr. Sledhill says that he is indeed guilty of all the crimes put against his name, but that he can justify them. His daughter’s mother he claims to be unfit of taking care of her. He says he was just protecting his only child. He also says that she was under threat at school, although I am allowed to go no deeper into that topic.

I felt my breathing hitch as both Jord and I stiffened.

The case had become a spectacle, in the local area at least, and my ‘father’ was using that to his advantage, putting my mother’s drug use and implying mine and Jord’s relationship without accusing us directly.

I was barely listening as the screen flipped back to the woman in the studio and they started debating parenting skills that could lead to something like this happening.

My parents looked at me curiously, but didn’t click onto what they were implying with the reference to school. “I didn’t know it would be such a high profile case.” My mum commented, appearing completely at ease and not even considering the fact I might still be mad at them, despite the way I left them last time. “Although, that thing about school was weird. I didn’t know you were in trouble there.”

I shook my head. “I wasn’t, that’s just Arthur trying to justify himself.”

“Why is your teacher here, again?” My mum inquired then, seeming to ignore everything I was saying and just getting out question after question.

“He was giving me a lift to his brother’s house, since that’s where I’m living now, because you’re in here.”

The venom in my voice was easily distinguishable and I saw them both visibly flinch. “And why is your teacher the one giving you a lift? Don’t you have your own car?”

“Because I can’t afford the petrol, and Mr. Armstrong lives closest to Matt. Mrs. Danks approved it.” I made a point of saying.

That settled them both on the issue and they smiled pleasantly. “That’s okay, then.” Mum said, gesturing to the bed for us to sit down on. “Take a seat and relax. It’s all very nice here.”

I scowled when she said that, already knowing she’d become accustomed to living here. Their faces were happier then I’d ever seen them unrigged, and I couldn’t help but feel slightly disappointed by that.