thirty-seven (alternate ending)

Start from the beginning

..

A few hours later, it was lunch time and Lauren decided to sit with me and my group today. She didn't want to be around her friends only because when they find out she's quitting the game, they won't be the happiest. Mostly because she's their dealer ever since freshman year.

"Well, I'm happy for you, Lauren." Normani spoke up, shaking her fry at the girl sitting across from her. "You're finally doing something really good for yourself after four years of being a shitty person." Everyone looked at Normani with wide eyes, like they couldn't believe she said that, but Lauren and I knew what she meant. "What? I'm not saying that as a bad thing. I'm accepting that she's taking her steps towards Jesus."

"Thanks, Normani. You were actually the last person that I would think to congratulate me. I guess you're changing, too. Hell, you may even be taking steps towards, Jesus, too."

"Why do more than half of our conversations at this table consist of Jesus talk?" I questioned the group.

"Because we have Allysus in our presence." Dinah snickered behind her fork. Ally smirked and chucked a fry at the bigger girl jokingly.

Dinah retorted by throwing a fry back and Ally continued the food fight. Camila quickly stepped in, "Hey guys! Stop. We don't want Mr. Pollock to come over and make us clean up again. Last time I was late for my last class, the PE teacher made me run two laps."

--

After school, I walked to my car to see Lauren was leaning against it, thoroughly scrolling through her phone. I liked seeing her there every day after school. I always knew that was where I would find her, leaned up against my car, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Hey loser!" I hollered out to her as I got closer.

Her head quickly shot up in my direction, and the biggest, cheesiest smile was cemented on her face. She held her arms out for me to quickly take my place in them, and our bodies were pressed close together under the hot Miami sun. I rested my arms on her shoulders, and pecked her lips before asking, "So, you're going to do it?"

Lauren looked into my eyes, "Yeah, right now. I told Carlos I needed to talk to him."

I was very scared for her, and I'm sure I was making it obvious. "Are you nervous?"

"Not really. I'm just gonna make something up about school. I mean, it would be really fucked up of him if he refused me of an education since he knows how hard I work in school."

I knew that this could possibly the last time I would see those beautiful green eyes because things like this don't always go well. "Just promise me that you'll be safe."

She pecked the corner of my mouth and looked back into my eyes, "I promise."

I nodded and that signaled her to connect her lips to mine. That passionate kiss was enough to reassure me that she would do whatever she could to see me again after this. It was almost as if I knew everything would be alright. She retreated even though I could tell that she didn't want to. We both pulled away from each other and Lauren began to walk towards her motorcycle. "I'll text you and let you know everything as soon as I can."

"Okay," I pressed the button on my keys to unlock my car, "I love you."

"I love you, too."

--

The first hour of waiting wasn't so bad and neither was the second due to the excessive amounts of homework that my classes had given me. It all kept me busy until around 8:59 PM and I had realized that I still hadn't heard from Lauren. So, I decided to text her.