Chapter 5: Birthday Surprise!!

Finally, a week went by and it was the day of my birthday. The boys were playing at The O2 London tonight and it was the last show of their tour. I was excited for tonight because after the show, we decided to go to the club and celebrate my birthday and our anniversary. When we were getting ready to go to the O2, Lauren and the boys gathered in the bedroom and had a quick chat. I wanted to sneak in and find out what they were talking about but I thought about it and wondered if it was some kind of surprise or something that was meant for me. I didn’t go and stayed in the living room and watched Football. Man City and Man United were playing and Man City was winning 6-1 in the last 20 minutes. Then they all came back out and sat down, all but Lauren.

Lauren: Come on Lexy, we’re going to my room.

Me: Ok.

We walked to Lauren’s room that Lauren bought in our apartment building the day before we left to L.A. She lived 10 doors down from us which was pretty great since she’s my best friend. When we got to her room, she led me into her bedroom and sat me down in a chair that sat at her make up stand.

She grabbed her flat iron and plugged it in.

Lauren: Are you excited for tonight?

Me: Yeah, I am!

Lauren: Little miss 20 year old!

Me: Yeah, finally!

Lauren: I think you will enjoy tonight! There is a huge surprise for you!

Me: Really, what is it?!

Lauren: I can’t tell you.

Me: I see, it’s that good!

Lauren: Yeah!

For the rest of the time I was in her room, we sat there in silence and she did my hair and my slight bit of make up the way I like it. Then, she went into her closet and came back out with the dress I wore on my 18th birthday, when I first met Nathan. I slipped it on 'because she told me to and then we walked back to my room. It was 6:00, an hour before the show. We all headed downstairs and into the van to go to the O2. When we got there, the boys got changed into their outfits and got their make up done and did a bit of warm up. 5 minutes before the show, Martin directed us to our seats in the middle of the middle section on the floor. Fans surrounded Lauren and I and their screams burst through our heads like gun shots in a enclosed space. Just then, I felt a tap on my left shoulder and I turned around.

Fan: You’re Elizabeth Russett right?

Me: Yes.

Fan: Happy Birthday!

Me: Thank you.

I faced the stage again and watched as the boys ran on stage and begin to sing. Lauren and I had a little dance party for the first 2 halves of the show and then, that all changed. The boys ran off to do a costume change and then came back on. Nathan held his microphone up to his lips.

Nathan: So, today is a very special day for 3 reasons.

Max: That is right, today is the last show of the tour.

Tom: It’s also some ones anniversary today! Do you know whose it is?!

I heard fans in all direction scream out "Nathan and Lexy's!"

Tom: That's right! It’s Nathan and Lexy's second anniversary today but, it’s also her birthday!

Everyone screamed and then someone came over and tapped me on the shoulder. It was Martin. He waved me over to him so I walked over and stood in front of him.

Martin: Follow me.

Me: Ok.

Lauren and I followed close behind Martin and he led us backstage and onto the tall staircase that the boys came down when they first came on stage. We stood on the platform of the staircase on the other side of the large wall that opened and closed when someone came on stage. I listened to what the boys were saying.

Jay: Today, Elizabeth turns 20! So were about to give her the surprise of a life time, can you lot help us?!

The crowed screamed and then I heard Nathan say "LET'S DO THIS!!!"

Heart Vacancy began to play and the doors opened, Martin told me to walk out on stage so I did. A stool sat in the middle of the stage and I walked down the stairs and then Nathan came over and grabbed my hand and led me to the stool. I sat down and the boys began to sing. Nathan held my hand and watched me the whole time. I looked out into the audience and saw my class from 2 years ago, Ms. Wilson, Jacob, Lauren, Kelsey, Nareesha, Nathan’s parents and sister, my dad, Brandon, Josh and I was so happy but so surprised to see my best friend, my brother, Bryan! Songs past and every minute of being on stage made me so happy. Especially because I knew Nathan was doing this for a reason. Then, the music ended and screams filled the O2.

Nathan: Now, Lexy, today is your birthday…. and our anniversary but, I have one more surprise for you.

Me: Really, what’s the surprise?!

Nathan: You’ll see!

He looked over at the band and he nodded. They began to play a few chords of a song and then I realised what it was. It was my favourite song,

Wherever You Will Go by The Calling! Nathan sang the song so perfectly and he looked deep into my eyes the whole time. Suddenly, he bent down on one knee. My heart began to race as I saw him reach into the pocket and pull out a small red, wooden box. I placed my hands over my mouth and tears began to pour down my face. The song ended and he was still down on one knee holding the box in his hand but it remained closed.

Nathan: Lexy, you’ve mad me the happiest man on Earth because of the past 2 years. There’s nothing I would regret from us being together. When I saw you at the club that night, I knew you were the one. My mind has never changed and I’ve never thought anything different about you then when I saw “I love you”. You’re the most beautiful, talented, smart, honest, empathetic girl I have ever known and you showed me that I can trust you when I’m on tour and away from you. That is why I want to ask you one thing, I just wanted to know (pulling open the box) if you,

Ms. Elizabeth Russett if you’ll become Mrs. Elizabeth Sykes?

Tears rolled down my face and I looked out at my father and he nodded in approval. My mind raced and then I looked down at Nathan and saw a tear roll down his face. I had made up my mind.

Me: Yes, YES!!!!

Nathan stood up and took the ring out of the box, he handed it over to Max who had been back stage and came onstage then he slipped the ring on my finger. The ring had a huge stone with smaller stones on the band and around the actual diamond. It was perfect, I loved it! Nathan pulled me into him and kissed me so passionately. I wanted to be where I was, forever. Everyone I knew that was there rushed on stage and circled us. I was the last of everyone in my class to get married so I was extremely happy that I could finally show off a finger now! The crowd screamed and tears rolled down my face. Nathan picked me up and raised me in the air and he spun me around. A smile grew on my face, it was the biggest smile I’ve ever smiled. I loved Nathan and I wouldn’t want to change anything about tonight, ever!