Twenty-Nine

The night went on after we left the dance, and Rosalie and I got in her car, speeding off; I shivered as the cold air hit me, for of course she couldn't feel it.

But, she did see me tremble and reached back a hand, pulling my—or hers, I'm not sure anymore—leather jacket from the back seat and dropping it on my lap.

"I thought you'd get cold later on," Rosalie told me, not once taking her eyes off the road, her blonde hair whipping in the wind. "And Alice saw it. So, I brought your jacket for you."

"Thanks," I mumbled gratefully, pulling it on. There was still a chill, but it wasn't as bad as it had been. I glanced over at her, leaning back in my seat. "So, are you taking me somewhere to kill me?"

She chuckled. "It's possible."

"Oh?" I quirked a brow at her. "I'm that expendable, huh?"

Her teasing tone immediately vanished. "No. Never."

I paused for a moment, before reaching over to poke her leg. "I'd love I know where we're going, you know."

"I know." There was a smirk on her face as her golden eyes flickered to me. "Which is why I won't tell you."

I groaned.

The car came to a stop, and she was at my door in a flash, opening it for me; I stepped out and stared at the path ahead. "Let me guess...we're walking?"

"I am." And with those words, she scooped me into her arms and took off at a sprint.

This woman....she'll be the death of me.

We arrived in some sort of clearing, and she carefully sat me on my feet.

I hadn't been expecting anything fancy—it really wasn't, actually. It was nothing more than a simple clearing where you could see the stars, hear the crickets chirp and the frogs croak, and watch the fireflies light flicker from all over.

I had never seen anything more beautiful, or seen anything like this since I was a child.

Rosalie cleared her throat behind me, and without words I could tell she was wondering what I thought of this.

"I've never seen anything more beautiful," I said aloud, speaking my previous thoughts as I stared at the fireflies. I glanced back at her for a moment, a half smile on my face. "Well, except you, of course."

"I'm glad," spoke Rosalie finally, offering me a smile in return. "I found this place on my own while hunting, once. I come here to get away."

Now this meant a lot more, because I knew better than anyone that a safe haven was to be treasured, a place for you and you alone....unless you decided to share it with someone, that is.

"I'm happy you brought me." I finally turned around and took a few steps toward her; it was time I took some action here. I gripped her arm lightly for a moment, before turning away again and plopping on the ground; I patted the spot beside me, to which she raised a brow.

Really?

I made a small face at her and reached out to grab her hand, before abruptly pulling her on top of me; she could have easily resisted, but she didn't.

I finally took action, and here I am, sitting on the ground with a blonde goddess on my lap. I wasn't a child anymore and, though I liked to depend on someone like I did Rose, she needed some of what she'd been giving to me given to her in return.

So, I pulled her closer and wrapped my arms firmly around her waist.

"See?" She turned to face me, but I refused to let go. "Better than standing, I'm my opinion."