Chapter 35 - [A Thank You and the Pharaoh]

Start from the beginning

     The smell of the incense and the beating of the drums and the chanting and the calm of the morning were all familiar and relaxing sensations.

     I felt so much better.

     Though I couldn't help but wish that May could get a chance to feel this too.

     When the prayers were over, the sun had risen enough into the sky to light up my lands and wake up any of the people who were still fast asleep.

     And it was only about six in the morning.

     But six in the morning was when the day would start for me. I was in the throne room and ready start with a new day of doing what I could to keep my country safe.

     After about a couple hours of sorting out internal affairs, we sent away the other nobles and began discussing more important things. Specifically, what to do about the People of the Sea.

     Obviously the wizard had still not attacked. However, what worried me was that I had no idea what he was planning.

     Or if he was even back for that matter.

     What if he wasn't attacking because he never made it back? Though if that were the case, that would mean he was still in the future with May.

     But even that didn't make any sense.

     I sighed out loud.

     In fact, none of this made sense.

     "We have mobilized half of the capital's soldiers, my Pharaoh," Lord Renefer said. "The messenger has gone out to inform the soldiers at the other main cities. We should have no problem with our original plans."

     "Good," I said. "Has the messenger reached my brother?"

     "I do not believe so," Lord Ahmose said. "It takes a couple days to get to Memphis. I think you will have already departed by the time the messenger arrives to give the news to your brother."

     I nodded. Of course I should have know that already. I guess the stress and the confusion was getting to me.

     "How sure are you really that the Sea People are actually going to attack?" Lady Taka asked.

     I looked at her for a moment and then sighed. "I'm not certain. But they did last time, almost immediately after I left. So I have reason to assume that they are on their way."

     Lady Taka blinked, "mobilizing the army is expensive, my King."

     "I know that," I said. "But like I said before, it's better to stay safe than sorry."

     "Lady Taka," Lord Hepu called. "I think we should trust the Pharaoh's instinct."

     "Of course we should," Lady Taka said. "Especially now that he's back to his senses. But I just feel like it is important to remind him that mobilizing the army is expensive."

     I let out a breath as I stared at her.

     I think I liked it better when everyone was terrified of me.

     "If you'll allow me to speak, my Pharaoh," Lord Ahmose started. "I have a suggestion."

     "Go ahead," I said, leaning back against my throne. Lord Ahmose usually had excellent advice.

     "I truly believe a good way to consolidate your position is to get married and have a child."

     Everyone was silent as I raised an eyebrow.