Shadowplay: Chapter 20 - Denial

Chapter 20 - Denial

The music stopped, “DO IT AGAIN!” Mister Cat sat in the front row of the auditorium waving his hands wildly at the gawky young students, he sighed deeply, “You must capture the essence and the beauty of being a forest creature… happy little birds and rabbits, flitting about the stage delicately, YOU ARE NOT ELEPHANTS!!” Piqué and Lille sniggered quietly from behind a tree onstage, “Piqué and Lille! DON’T YOU DARE SNIGGER AGAIN! Or I will thrust upon you the punishment OF BEING MY BRIDES!” The two girls gulped heavily and scuttled off backstage.

Mister Cat licked his paw and swiped his ear backwards, “okay… once more from the top of the scene…and hopefully our Aurora will turn up soon! Let’s begin! 1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 23…”

The orchestra began again as the students leapt onto the stage smiling excessively, they frolicked across the stage for a few minutes leaving a large gap where Aurora should be. Then they all accumulated into one corner as a tall figure glided onto the stage elegantly. Fakir stretched outwards towards the opposite wing of the stage, muscles rippling down his arm and shoulders as he did so, all the girls sighed dreamily, he straightened his body so that he was standing and dragged his foot into fifth position and relaxed his arms down, he then swept them upwards to shoulder height as he began to sissonne downstage with the occasional pirouette thrown in for variation. He finished the sissones by landing flat on one foot and using a tendu position, slid his right foot from front to back with his right arm mimicking the movement, using the momentum gained he half pirouetted and switched his right arm extension with his left arm, thrusting the left arm forward and bringing his chest forward also. He slowly clutched his hand together and strongly used his arm to pull himself close to his chest.

This position hit him as remembrance ^This is how I held Duck when I found her in the snow…^ snapping out of his thoughts he lifted his back and turned to the centre stage where Aurora should be standing and he cast an arm towards the invisible princess. Fakir then used a series of strong pique turns to approach the girl, then softly bowing in front of her.

“Stop!” Mister Cat yelled.

“Is there a problem Monsieur?” Fakir said standing from his previous position and running his fingers through his hair.

“That was spectacular! Bravissimo! Magnifique!” He was tearfully clapping and speaking in inaudible French complementing the performance.

“Then why did you make him stop?” Autor said peeping out from the orchestra pit, holding the tiny white stick of ultimate control.

“Sadly we cannot go any further with this scene without madam Rue…” Fakir sighed and put his hands on his hips, “my sentiments precisely…”

Fakir began to walk off stage, “why don’t you go and try on the costume Fakir, if madam Rue doesn’t turn up before you come back we shall be forced to postpone the dress rehearsal” Fakir nodded and left the stage, he pushed past a group of girls who giggled and gasped as he did. Looking back at the group he rolled his eyes and snorted. One of them fainted and they squealed.

“He is soo angsty!”

***

Fakir closed the door behind him and sighed, “alone at last…”

It had most certainly been weeks since Fakir had been properly alone without any interruption and unexpected surprises. He sat down on an adjacent chair and began to unlace his ballet shoes, he looked around the room as he unlaced the shoes. The room was medium sized, but you couldn’t tell due to the vast amount of clutter and racks of colourful clothing covered in clear plastic bags; with names scrawled on yellow pieces of paper pinned to the clothing.