Shadowplay: Chapter 1 - The Exposition

NOTE: Before you begin reading please note that these characters DO NOT belong to me. And that this is merely a fanfiction for PRINCESS TUTU. If you have a problem with that please don't read it. Thank y'all!

Chapter 1 – The Exposition

Duck stood nervously beneath the dark shadow of her dream.

“Paris Ballet Academy” she shuddered as the sharp winter breeze blew open her heavy coat and whipped her messily plaited orange hair.

This morning she had been so excited to finally live her dream of training with the best; and working to become a prima ballerina – but now she wasn’t so sure.

The tall red brick building seemed to loom over her as she stood; like a big frosty monster. A dark metal plaque was fixed on the building adjacent to the main doors and clearly bore the words ‘Paris Le Ballet Academy: où les fleurs de talents.’

Duck looked up abruptly as she heard someone clear their throat. A shadowed figure stood impatiently in the doorway above her, “mademoiselle Duck je présume?” whoever was standing there had an unusually nasally tone and a terrible lisp.

“Oui”

“Magnifique. Bonjour mademoiselle je suis monsieur-“

“Oh I’m sorry monsieur uh… I don’t understand French.” He showed a slight twinge of annoyance.

“I see. Well I should add French Language to your class list,” he spoke exasperatingly and stepped into view, “I am Mister Cat. And I shall be your tutor and Ballet Master,” duck stumbled backwards in astonishment.

*Wha!? It’s a Cat!*

“All Students must obey the rules here at this school or there will be severe consequences… if you disobey my rules… I WILL HAVE YOU MARRY ME!!” Mister Cat frantically twitched and cleaned himself.

Duck; was now, very unsure about her decision.

***

Mister Cat took long strides down the empty hallway. The Academy was unusually quiet.

The white marble floors reflected Duck’s image as she followed quickly behind her guide. She looked up at the high ceiling; dangling from it were a number of antique glass chandeliers.

The hallway appeared never-ending the numerous doors which lead to practice rooms seemed to go on forever. Duck peered through one of the door’s windows, it was a very large and dark room and contained a Fazioli F308 (one of the most expensive piano brands in the world; Italian made and impeccable quality), also a very long mirror and bar which extended to both ends of the room. Large red curtains were drawn over the large window shrouding the room in darkness.

“Miss Duck would you care to keep up with me?” Mister Cat tutted as Duck jogged back to him.

“Where is everyone?”

“Due to recent snowstorms we had been snowed in and we were required to send the students home. Classes will resume tomorrow.”

The hall came to an end at some polished wood spiral stairs; also seemingly infinite.

Copies of famous artworks hung on the walls around the stairs as Duck gazed at the thousands of frames almost like raindrops suspended in time.

Mister Cat sensed Duck’s interest in the art,” Da Vinci,” he purred gaining her attention, “is my favourite artist.” Duck thought it was ironic that a French school owned and coveted Italian works rather than French ones – considering France invaded Italy in 1494 and seized Naples in 1495.

“The first floor is used strictly for Ballet classes, you will be taking your class in room 102; the intermediate class,” Duck observed the hallway; which was much like the ground floor though it only had four doors two on each side, “come along Miss Duck!”

“The second floor is where you will attend your History, English and Language classes; should you choose to take them. The third floor is for the more logical subjects such as Mathematics and Science,” Duck was beginning to feel fatigued due to the amount of stairs, “the fourth floor is to satisfy your cultural cravings like Art, Drama and Music. Now here is where you shall be staying,” Mister Cat handed Duck a key, “room 10515. I will see you in class.” Mister Cat padded off down the stairs.

“Oh! Thank you!”

***

Duck flopped onto the vacant bed and exhaled deeply.