Shadowplay: Chapter 5 - A Lesson

Chapter 5 - A Lesson

“Please turn to chapter five in your French Language text book and work on exercise one point six; page ninety eight! L'art de la conversation!” Mister Cat paced around the desks adjusting his glasses and flicking through the book vigorously.

Duck chewed on her pencil and glared at the page brimming with foreign text. She sighed and flicked her eyes around the room, Rue wasn’t here today and neither was Mytho, Fakir was though; he seemed rather unfocussed and was drawing on his text book, he looked up and shot Duck a look, “concentrer! Concentrate!” She scowled *you’re the one doodling!*

“Mademoiselle Duck!” She froze, “if you could please! Stop distracting Monsieur Fakir from his study! Perhaps you have feelings for Fakir and wish to get his attention?” Mister Cat’s eyes sparkled.

“Nononono! It’s not like that at all!” everyone in the class was now staring at Duck with curiosity, even Fakir was slightly curious, “oh no! And those rumours aren’t true at all about him! And! And me! Nooo! Not at all! Why would I like Fakir!? Haha!” her classmates giggled and returned to their work. Fakir looked down at his drawing with a tinge of what; strangely enough, seemed to be disappointment?

“I see Mademoiselle…” Mister Cat cleared his throat, “then perhaps you should return to your work and stop distracting the supérieur male students, unless it is your wish to marry me!?” Duck turned blue with fright.

“Oh no Sir! Please I’ll be good don’t make me marry you!” Mister Cat began cleaning himself once again. She stared at the paper again and formed a sentence in her head *Bonjour supérieur Fakir, je suis un canard ... votre canard Hello Senior Fakir, I am a duck… your duck*

***

The bell rang and the classroom erupted, “Au revouir students! I shall see the intermediate class shortly!”

Duck packed up her books and, with haste, stood from her seat; knocking away Fakir’s text book in the process, “why did you do that?” he sighed exasperated rolling his eyes. Duck dived down to pick up his book and noticed the drawing on his book. *He drew a picture of me on his text book?* Fakir noticed her building curiosity and snatched the book back blushing in embarrassment.

“That’s a cute duck!” He briskly exited the classroom. *I forgot Fakir had a mean side* she watched him go; her eyes full of remorse and sorrow.

***

“Good afternoon class!” Mister cat smiled charmingly, “today we have a very special treat! Today! We have the Advanced Seniors doing a demonstration for us! These seniors will be perfect candidates for the leading roles in our upcoming production of Sleeping Beauty!”

“Are you going to audition Duck!?” Piqué and Lille squished her, “Fakir’s going to audition!”

“Piqué! I don’t like Fakir okay!?” A screech came from across the room and Mister Cat was standing with Fakir.

“What do you mean they’re both sick!?”

“Mytho and Rue are sick and have taken the day to recover, I’m sorry.” Mister Cat tensed his jaw and then relaxed.

“May you still do your solo for the class Fakir?” Fakir nodded and handed him the Hans Zimmer Cd.

“Ah yes, Hans Zimmer! Good choice for a strong style of dancing,” he took his position in the centre of the room, “Class! Pay attention to Fakir’s strong dance style and his precise movement!” Fakir began to dance. He stopped.

“Is there something wrong Fakir?”

“Sir, the ending of this piece is a pas de deux… I have no partner to dance with.”