Shadowplay: Chapter 13 - Bickerings

Chapter 13 – Bickerings

His pupils shrunk instantaneously, "No! I refuse!"

Rue dug her fingernails sharply into his shoulders and shoved him harder back against the glass, "what do you mean you refuse! You simply cannot refuse this offer! Don't you understand that this could help you so much in seizing what you want!" A smile crept across Fakir's face as he closed his eyes and began to laugh under his breath. Rue looked at him wide eyed and incredulously, "Laughter? Laughter! What is it that you find so amusing!"

"You honestly think that I'm going to fall for that? From all we've been through you really think I am that gullible…" Her fingernails scraped deeply down his bosom flesh and then ceased instantaneously. Rue stared deeply into Fakir's eyes; intensely dazed and bewildered. A thick red dribble of liquid dripped from her lips. Fakir grasped the shard of glass penetrating her back firmly in contentedness; he let out a deep breath, "Carabosse, I will say this once only…" he leant forward to her ear and whispered thinly, "leave my friends… alone" he removed the shard with a quick jerk of his arm allowing her to fall backwards onto the floor, "leave you insufferable demon…" Rue fell through the floor and disappeared.

He breathed deeply and relaxed his body. ^Why must I be placed in the most difficult of situations alone…^. Gritting his teeth and tensing his abdomen he pulled himself off the vanity mirror and to a stand; slowly feeling the glass slide away from his flesh. Leaning on the end of a bed Fakir stood. Then stumbled; and stood again. ^Be a man Fakir! It's only a few scratches^

Fakir ran his fingers through his hair noticing it had come loose; taking a look in one of the glass shards he recognised how horrid he looked in reality. He re-tied the pony-tail and re-buttoned his shirt though it did not make much of a difference.

^Duck. I can't leave her here? It's too dangerous! And knowing her she's too clumsy and gawky to handle something like that…^ he looked down at his torso ^I can't carry her in this state- I am almost physically unable to walk^

"Duck" he shook her awake.

"Uh? GAH!" She leapt onto her feet, "!" Fakir slapped her across the face and she fell onto the bed holding her cheek and whinging. "Duck! Shut up!" She peered up at Fakir standing over her.

"Why would you do that! You're such a meanie! You can't hit a-" he grasped her wrist tightly, "Ouch! You're hurting me!"

"We need to get out of this room. Now." Duck noticed the blood stains and tears in his white shirt.

"What happened!" Fakir froze, "and why is my mirror smashed! Mister cat's gonna kill me! What did you do!" He stood there staring at the door handle ^This door handle has traces of seared flesh? Rue may have tried to escape but been burnt to keep her captive in this room…^

It was at this point Duck had become extremely aggravated at Fakir for remaining silent, seething she grabbed his shoulder and viciously tugged him, "Fakir! Answer me!" His knees buckled underneath the pain and he fell to one knee breathing sharply, "Wha?" his shoulder became warm and damp; Duck pulled back her hand and saw that he was bleeding where she had touched his right shoulder. *Fakir's scar is bleeding! Why! What in the world is happening here!* "Fakir! What's happening!" Duck squealed with perplexion.

"Duck, what I really need you to do right now is shut the fuck up, open the fucking door and get the fuck out of here!" He groaned in frustration between ground teeth.

"But what about you?"

"I'm right behind you just give me a moment to compose myself! Go idiot!" Duck hesitantly ran out of the room her footsteps like gunshots echoing on the floors. *Again I'm running away from Fakir… why do I always have to run away from him?*